[Blackstudies-l] Professor Rose-Marie Chierici, giving a talk on Haiti, Feb. 24, 2:00-3:15

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Wed Feb 17 20:09:27 EST 2010

Hello all,

I thought the Black Studies community would be interested in Professor
Rose-Marie Chierici's upcoming talk as part of the Spiritual Journeys
series, sponsored by the Interfaith Center. Please see the
announcement below.

Thanks,
Emilye

The Spiritual Journeys series sponsored by the Geneseo InterFaith
Center resumes
with a talk by Dr. Rose-Marie Chierici, Associate Professor and Chair of
Anthropology at SUNY Geneseo:

"Finding a sense of hope in the midst of turmoil"
Wednesday, February 24th, 2:00-3:15 p.m., Milne Library 213, SUNY
Geneseo

Dr. Chierici is co-founder and executive director of Haiti Outreach
Pwoje Espwa
(H.O.P.E.), a Rochester-based organization focused on promoting social
justice and a
better future for the people of Borgne, an impoverished area about 100
miles north
of Port-au-Prince. Following the devastating Jan. 12 earthquake,
H.O.P.E. sent
relief workers to Port-au-Prince and mobilized a supply and
distribution network to
H.O.P.E.'s medical staff in Borgne, where hundreds from Port-au-Prince
have fled for
help.

Dr. Chierici says the following about her talk: "The theme that I
would like to
address is the struggle to give  meaning to the human experience. A
statement from
Gustavo Gutierrez, the  Liberation Theologian, encapsulates this well:
'When I am
hungry it is a physical problem; when my neighbor is hungry it is a
spiritual
problem.'  I wrestled with this a long time, still do... What is my
role in 'feeding
the hungry'?  Of course hunger here is metaphorical and symbolizes
engagement with
social justice, issues of equity, etc. My work in Haiti is a bit of a
response to
this question. The recent earthquake brings more urgency to the
question."

crosby at geneseo.edu