[Blackstudies-l] Ysaye Barnwell at Geneseo for 2011 King Commemoration

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Sun Nov 28 18:03:28 EST 2010

Dr. Ysaye M. Barnwell will lead a Community Sing for Geneseo's Martin
Luther King, Jr., Commemoration on Thursday, March 3, 2011, from
7:00-9:30pm in the College Union Ballroom. The music selected for
Community Sings come from African and African American cultures and is
taught in the "oral tradition" so musical training is not required.
Barnwell sings and the group sings back. One participant explained
that Community Sings are "especially great for those who enjoy singing
but can't read music and who are a bit shy about singing in public. Of
course, it's also great for those who can read music and aren't shy."
Barnwell adds, "We begin in a fun easy way and in two hours we become
a choir of uncommon voices singing with great joy in 4 to 8 part
harmony, and as many rhythms, and raising the roof."

Please see the attached flier for more on Barnwell and the Community
Sing. For more information, contact Emilye Crosby.

crosby at geneseo.edu