[Blackstudies-l] 2011-2012 academic year

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Sun Aug 21 08:52:34 EDT 2011

Dear Black Studies community,

As we move into the beginning of the new academic year (with several
weeks of drop/add), I wanted to remind everyone that we added a course
after Spring registration. Please spread the word.

	Blks288: Food, Nutrition, and Health in Africa, which will be taught
by Francis Alemawor, of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and
Technology in Kumasi, Ghana, in Fall 2011. The course will meet M/W
1-2:15 in Newton 205. The course is now listed (under Black Studies)
on the master schedule page and Knightweb and available for
registration. The description is below.
Blks288: Food, Nutrition, and Health in Africa (3 credits)
                  This course will generally examine the status,
influencing factors and challenges of food system and food security in
Africa, and their interaction with nutrition and health status of
Africans; and also consider the linkage between agriculture and
nutrition and health in the social and economic development of the
African continent. The course is targeted at a broad audience and does
not necessarily require specific technical knowledge to make use of
the insights.
	Required text: D. D. Watson II (Ed) (2010). The African Food System
and Its Interactions with Human Health and Nutrition. First Edition,
Cornell University Press Ithaca, NY

Also, Prof. Catherine Adams will be coordinating the Africana/ Black
Studies minor and major for the 2011-12 academic year. In addition to
this class, she is working on a number of events in what promises to
be an exciting year for our program.

Best wishes,
Emilye

crosby at geneseo.edu