[Blackstudies-l] Africana/ Black Studies Prizes and Year-End Gathering

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Sun May 1 19:02:00 EDT 2011

Dear Black Studies Community,

Please join me in congratulating the students who were recognized for
their outstanding papers at the Africana/ Black Year-End Gathering.
(See below.)

I'd like to thank all of the students who submitted papers for
consideration and who have contributed to our courses and community
throughout the year. I'd also like to thank Professor Cathy Adams for
hosting the gathering, Professor Justin Behrend, for coordinating the
paper prizes, Professor Maria Lima for serving on the prize committee
(along with Behrend and myself), and all of those who attended and
contributed to a wonderful celebration of our community and our year's
work.

Many thanks to all for a successful year. Please look for next year's
events and the second annual year-end gathering. I've attached a few
photos from the event below. (Thanks to Maria Lima for taking and
sharing the photographs.)

Emilye

Best Research Paper
Dave O'Donnell
"To Be Planned With--Not For":Self-Determination, Community Control,
and Black Power Organizing in Rochester, NY

Best Analytical Essay
Stephanie C. Iasiello
(Re)visiting the Canon: A Reading of "Visiting Yorkshire--Again"

Best Creative Writing
Fiona Harvey
Akwaaba to Ghana

Notable Research Paper
Catherine Wallwork
The Portrayal, Execution, and Outcome of Aid in Africa: A Closer Look
at the Work of Invisible Children

Notable Research Paper
Justine Porter
Clandestine Operations in Cold War Congo: A Case Study on the Realist
Nature of U.S. Foreign Policy

Notable Analytical Essay
Chelsea Rives
Colonial (Mis)Representation

Notable Analytical Essay
Chernor Barrie
The War for Liberation and Preservation

L-R: David O'Donnell, Chernor Barrie, Stephanie C. Iasiello, Chelsea
Rives, and Fiona Harvey.

(Professor Justin Behrend, awarding prizes.)

Paula Henry (left), emeritus librarian and long-time member of the
Black Studies faculty, and Professor Kodjo Adabra (right), professor
of languages and literature.

crosby at geneseo.edu