[Blackstudies-l] Blks288/ Hist288: Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and Ella Baker

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Mon Apr 2 11:42:46 EDT 2012

Dear Africana/ Black Studies community,

Please spread the word about and consider enrolling in Blks288/
Hist288: Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and Ella Baker.

This is a 4-credit experimental class that will combine historical
study and reading with extensive use of film, documentary, music, and
analysis of popular culture/ current events. We will focus on three of
the most important and best known "leaders" of the Civil Rights/ Black
Freedom Movement, in terms of their historical role, how they are
viewed and represented today, and how their work and views might
inform our understanding of contemporary issues.

We will meet for "regular" class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from
2:30-3:45 and have a 2 1/2 hour lab on Tuesdays, immediately following
our regular class (with a 15 min. break). The Tuesday lab will be used
almost exclusively for watching movies and documentaries, with some
occasional guest speakers and library "lab" work, focused on finding
and watching/ "reading" (which applies to film and musical sources as
well as print media) popular culture and historical sources. Guest
speakers will address both the history and the contemporary issues and
students will have the option of completing a service learning
assignment instead of a traditional final paper.

Please let me know if you have any questions. You can reach me at crosby at geneseo.edu
. The course description is below.

Emilye Crosby

Course description.   This course will use biographical study of
Martin Luther King Jr. Malcolm X, and Ella Baker as a way to study the
modern Civil Rights Movement and to analyze contemporary historical
representations of the movement and society. We will draw on memoir,
biography, speeches, interviews, movies, documentaries, and popular
culture to explore many topics, from the high profile debates over
"nonviolence and self-defense" and "integration v. nationalism" to the
competing ideas, strategies, and leadership styles within the larger
black freedom struggle, the impact of gender, the implications of
historical distortions, and connections to contemporary issues. This
is a 4-credit course that will meet three hours a week for regular
class discussions with an additional “lab” period (which will be used
primarily to view films, but also to meet with a few guest speakers).

T/R: 2:30-3:45 (class)
T: 4-6:30 (film lab)

crosby at geneseo.edu