[Blackstudies-l] Africana/ Black Studies Fall classes

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Sat Aug 25 09:50:14 EDT 2012

Dear Africana/ Black Studies Community,
As students return to campus and finalize Fall schedules, I wanted to
resend this information about Fall courses.
In particular, I want to draw your attention to Introduction to
African History, offered by Prof. Jennifer Lofkranz. This course was
added late and many people may be unaware of it.
Faculty, if appropriate, please announce this in class, and share this
information with students who may be interested, as well as faculty/
staff who are involved in advising students. I've enclosed a course
description below.
In addition, please see the other Africana/ Black Studies courses
being offered.
Hist288: Introduction to African History, Professor J. Lofkrankz. This
course is designed to familiarize you with major themes in African
History with a particular emphasis on regions south of the Sahara from
the ancient period to the end of colonial rule. Among the themes that
recur in the course are identity formation, political and religious
change, and the challenges of slavery and colonialism. Upon completion
of this course, you will be able to participate knowledgably in
exchanges of ideas about the continent, its people, and their place in
world history.  You will also encounter and learn to apply a number of
broad historical concepts. (W/F, 1-2:15, Newton 209)
Fall 2012 Africana Black Studies courses:

ANTH 216 Native Voices: African Diaspora
HIST 288: Introduction to African History
ENGL 237 Voice & Perspectives: African-American Migration Narr
ENGL 324 British Novel: Black British Novel
ENGL 390 Studies in Literature: Dante & Afr-Amer Lit
HIST 163 S/U/African American History to 1877
HIST 266 S/U/Civil Rights Movement in America
HIST 355 Slave Rebellion & Resistance in the Atlantic World
INTD 105 Writing Seminar: The Haitian Diaspora
INTD 105 Writing Seminar: Octavia Butler’s Short Stories
SOCL 201 Black Women in American Society

crosby at geneseo.edu