[Blackstudies-l] Africana/ Black Studies courses

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Fri Nov 9 07:57:23 EST 2012

Dear Africana/ Black Studies Community,

As we move toward the end of first year student registration and into
Open Registration, please publicize our two Africana/ Black Studies
courses and our overall minor. (Information below.)

Colleagues, would you please announce the two Black Studies-specific
courses and make available the fuller list? Please encourage students
to see me if they have questions.

Students, if you are interested, please consider enrolling in one of
these classes, and please share the information with your friends and
classmates.

Emilye Crosby

1. Blks288: Neo-Slave Narrative, taught by Maria Lima (3 credits) T/R:
11:30-12:45 in Welles 119.

2. Blks288/ Hist288: Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and Ella Baker,
taught by Emilye Crosby (4 credits) T/R, 2:30-3:45 and T 4-6:30 lab,
in Sturges 108. [Note: this is a 4-credit experimental courses with a
film and speaker lab component, see description below.]

Students interested in the minor or major, or in need of advising,
should see Emilye Crosby, Blake C, office 9. My office hours are T:
8:45-9:45, T: 11:30-12:30, and Th: 1:15-2:15, or by appt. You can also
email me: crosby at geneseo.edu. You can also sign up for our listserv

1. Blks288: Neo-Slave Narrative, taught by Maria Lima (3 credits) T/R:
11:30-12:45 in Welles 119
Since the last decades of the twentieth century, writers across the
African Diaspora have attempted to recover elements of the narrative
structure and thematic configuration of slave narratives.  The main
reasons for this seemingly widespread desire to rewrite a genre that
officially lost its usefulness with the abolition of slavery are the
will to re-affirm the historical value of the original slave narrative
and to reclaim the humanity of the enslaved by (re)imagining their
subjectivity.  While most colonial testimonies of slavery have long
disappeared from the working memory of today’s Black Atlantic
societies, the prejudices and stereotypes they conveyed unfortunately
have not.

2. Blks288/ Hist288: Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and Ella Baker,
taught by Emilye Crosby (4 credits) T/R, 2:30-3:45 and T 4-6:30 lab,
in Sturges 108.

This is a 4-credit experimental class that will combine historical
study and reading with extensive use of film, documentary, music, and
analysis of popular culture/ current events. We will focus on three of
the most important and best known "leaders" of the Civil Rights/ Black
Freedom Movement, in terms of their historical role, how they are
viewed and represented today, and how their work and views might
inform our understanding of contemporary issues.

We will meet for "regular" class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from
2:30-3:45 and have a 2 1/2 hour lab on Tuesdays, immediately following
our regular class (with a 15 min. break). The Tuesday lab will be used
almost exclusively for watching movies and documentaries, with some
occasional guest speakers and library "lab" work, focused on finding
and watching/ "reading" (which applies to film and musical sources as
well as print media) popular culture and historical sources. Guest
speakers will address both the history and the contemporary issues and
students will have the option of completing a service learning
assignment instead of a traditional final paper.

Contact Emilye Crosby at crosby at geneseo.edu with questions.

crosby at geneseo.edu