[Blackstudies-l] Emancipation Proclamation exhibition

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Tue Oct 16 04:54:05 EDT 2012

 From Cynthia Hawkins:

February 1, 2013 marks the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation
Proclamation and there is underlying tension with this anniversary,
which is why we desperately need to “Meditate” on its meaning.

  Interrogation of the Emancipation Proclamation and its attending
ramifications as a physical, intellectual and, or spiritual state or
condition must lead us all to pose questions and seek possible answers
that elucidate our personal and public thoughts and positions on the
Emancipation Proclamation.  How do we understand Emancipation today?
Does Emancipation mean more than the physical elimination of slavery?
What other kinds of Emancipation are there?  How might we as artists
meditate on and produce visualization of what Emancipation meant in
the past, means now, and might mean as we move forward into the 21st
century.

For prospectus go to: www.geneseo.edu/galleries/meditations_on_emancipation

For more information, contact: hawkins at geneseo.edu

crosby at geneseo.edu