[Blackstudies-l] Spring Africana/ Black Studies courses

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Tue Jan 22 09:47:23 EST 2013

Dear Africana/ Black Studies Community,

During this period of drop/ add please publicize our two Africana/ Black Studies courses and our overall minor. (Information below.)

Colleagues, would you please announce the two Black Studies-specific courses and make available the fuller list? Please encourage students to see me if they have questions.

Students, if you are interested, please consider enrolling in one of these classes, and please share the information with your friends and classmates.

Emilye Crosby

1. Blks288: Neo-Slave Narrative, taught by Maria Lima (3 credits) T/R: 11:30-12:45 in Welles 119.

2. Blks288/ Hist288: Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and Ella Baker, taught by Emilye Crosby (4 credits) T/R, 2:30-3:45 and T 4-6:30 lab, in Sturges 108. [Note: this is a 4-credit experimental courses with a film and speaker lab component, see description below.]

Students interested in the minor or major, or in need of advising, should see Emilye Crosby, Blake C, office 9. My office hours are T: 8:45-9:45, T: 11:30-12:30, and Th: 1:15-2:15, or by appt. You can also email me: crosby at geneseo.edu. You can also sign up for our listserv at: https://mail.geneseo.edu/mailman/listinfo/blackstudies-l

1. Blks288: Neo-Slave Narrative, taught by Maria Lima (3 credits) T/R: 11:30-12:45 in Welles 119
Since the last decades of the twentieth century, writers across the African Diaspora have attempted to recover elements of the narrative structure and thematic configuration of slave narratives.  The main reasons for this seemingly widespread desire to rewrite a genre that officially lost its usefulness with the abolition of slavery are the will to re-affirm the historical value of the original slave narrative and to reclaim the humanity of the enslaved by (re)imagining their subjectivity.  While most colonial testimonies of slavery have long disappeared from the working memory of today’s Black Atlantic societies, the prejudices and stereotypes they conveyed unfortunately have not.

2. Blks288/ Hist288: Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and Ella Baker, taught by Emilye Crosby (4 credits) T/R, 2:30-3:45 and T 4-6:30 lab, in Sturges 108.

This is a 4-credit experimental class that will combine historical study and reading with extensive use of film, documentary, music, and analysis of popular culture/ current events. We will focus on three of the most important and best known "leaders" of the Civil Rights/ Black Freedom Movement, in terms of their historical role, how they are viewed and represented today, and how their work and views might inform our understanding of contemporary issues.

We will meet for "regular" class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-3:45 and have a 2 1/2 hour lab on Tuesdays, immediately following our regular class (with a 15 min. break). The Tuesday lab will be used almost exclusively for watching movies and documentaries, with some occasional guest speakers and library "lab" work, focused on finding and watching/ "reading" (which applies to film and musical sources as well as print media) popular culture and historical sources. Guest speakers will address both the history and the contemporary issues and students will have the option of completing a service learning assignment instead of a traditional final paper.

Contact Emilye Crosby at crosby at geneseo.edu with questions.

(585) 245-5375 (office)
crosby at geneseo.edu