[Blackstudies-l] A Black Studies Course for the Spring of 2015?

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Aug 21 10:56:51 EDT 2014

Dear Colleagues:

The Africana/ Black Studies program has buy-out money for a faculty member
to teach a 3-or 4-credit Africana/ Black Studies course this Spring.  We
have some flexibility in what the course can look like. It can be Black
Studies only or cross-listed. It should be a 200- or 100-level course to
make it accessible to a larger group of students, particularly those in
their early years at Geneseo. We need to find ways to attract more
majors/minors.

In Spring 2012, Justin Behrend taught a Black Studies course cross-listed
with History. In Spring 2013, I taught a Black Studies only course, while
Emilye taught a cross-listed course with blks/hist. And in Fall 2013, Ann
Marie Reynolds taught a Black Studies only course. Since Emilye is on
leave, please email me ASP if you are interested in teaching a course in
Spring 2015. Emilye and I are delighted Cathy Adams will be teaching a new
INTRO to the Black Studies Major/Minor in the Fall of 2015.

Although it does make sense to invite only our "core" faculty, I am
extending the invitation to everyone on the listserv (the ones qualified to
teach obviously).   It's important that we have "new" faculty taking on the
challenge, so the funding can be preserved (and possibly even increased).
 I'm attaching a 2008 proposal for course funding that was developed by a
group of Africana/ Black Studies faculty.  Although we don't need to follow
everything in it, it provides a useful framework for thinking about course
possibilities.

We realize that putting a new course together can be time consuming, but I
hope you will all consider this opportunity. Please let me know if you have
any questions.

Best always,

MH