[Blackstudies-l] NEW Summer Study Abroad Program in Bahia, Brazil [Summer 2016] :S/M/ANTH 216 The African Disapora in Bahia

Melanie Medeiros medeiros at geneseo.edu
Tue Feb 10 14:29:43 EST 2015

NEW Summer Study Abroad Program in Bahia, Brazil [Summer 2016]
S/M/Anth 216 The African Diaspora in Bahia

Email Dr. Medeiros (medeiros at geneseo.edu) or visit the Geneseo Study Abroad
site for more information:
http://www.geneseo.edu/study_abroad/programs-region-south-america

This program will begin in the capital of Bahia - the beautiful coastal
city of Salvador - where we will spend 4 days exploring the historical
colonial neighborhood of Pelourinho, including visits to the Afro-Brazilian
Museum, local markets, and an Afro-Brazilian dance and capoeira
performance.  Students will have free time to explore the city and local
beaches.  We will then travel into the interior of Bahia to spend 2.5 weeks
in the charming mountain town of Lencois and the stunning Chapada
Diamantina National Park.  While in Lencois students will study first-hand
the effects of ecotourism on an Afro-Brazilian community.  Students will
also have opportunities to explore the park including: hikes to rivers and
waterfalls, dramatic mountaintop and canyon views, cave tours, canoeing,
backpacking, etc.  Program activities will include guest lectures and
classes on capoeira and Afro-Brazilian dance, scavenger hunts, and
volunteering at a children's after-school program.  Students will also
witness the preparation for the most important holiday in Northeast Brazil
- the Festa de Sao Joao, commemorated with traditional music, food and
costumes.  Students will have afternoons, Saturdays and Sundays free to
explore the park and surrounding area. The last 3 days of the trip we will
be based in Salvador and students will be free to go on excursions to local
beaches, explore the Atlantic Rainforest or get to know Salvador better, or
take intensive classes in Portuguese, Capoeira, Dance, or Music.

Melanie A. Medeiros, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
SUNY Geneseo