[Blackstudies-l] Cambria Studies in Slavery: Past and Present

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Fri Jan 2 14:54:45 EST 2015

        [image: #MLA15 LOOK FOR THIS BANNER IN THE BOOK EXHIBIT HALL!]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/3da6xb>
              [image: NEW BOOK! AFRICAN HERITAGE AND MEMORIES OF SLAVERY IN
BRAZIL AND THE SOUTH ATLANTIC WORLD]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/zyb6xb>

An excellent example of this theme is Howard University professor Ana Lucia
Araujo's latest book *African Heritage and Memories of Slavery in Brazil
and the South Atlantic <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/frc6xb>, *which
explores the history of African tangible and intangible heritages and its
links with the public memory of slavery in Brazil and Angola.
Dr. Araujo is general editor of the *Cambria Studies in Slavery: Past and
Present* <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/vjd6xb>, an
interdisciplinary collection that seeks to have scholars "converse across
the lines separating our fields" as Dr. Ferguson has wisely encouraged.
New to the series is *Black Women as Custodians of History*, launched at
the 2014 LASA congress <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/bce6xb> a few
months ago.
           [image: BLACK WOMEN AS CUSTODIANS OF HISTORY: UNSUNG REBEL
(M)OTHERS IN AFRICAN AMERICAN AND AFRO-CUBAN WOMEN'S WRITING]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/r4e6xb>

*Black Women as Custodians of History: Unsung Rebel (M)Others in African
American and Afro-Cuban Women's Writing
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/7wf6xb>* examines literary
representations of the historic roots of black women’s resistance in the
United States and Cuba by studying the works of African American and
Afro-Cuban women in four different literary genres: autobiographical slave
narrative, contemporary novel on slavery, testimonial narrative, and
poetry. The book explores the commonalities of the rhetorical devices and
narrative strategies employed by the authors as they disassemble racist and
sexist stereotypes, thereby (re)constructing black female subjectivity
through an image of active resistance against oppression, one that
authorizes unconventional definitions of womanhood and motherhood.
        *More MLA Book Highlights*
We invite you to visit our booth (402), right in the front and near the
book exhibit hall entrance, to browse our books and take part in our *MLA
book-giveway draw <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/npg6xb>*. You can
also preview all titles for free and learn more about our series at our
website *www.cambriapress.com*
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/3hh6xb>.
          [image: WILLIAM DEAN HOWELLS AND THE AMERICAN MEMORY CRISIS]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/jai6xb>
*William Dean Howells and the American Memory Crisis *
"A valuable addition ... Rubin not only addresses Howells‘s late short
fiction, he does so in a novel way, simultaneously introducing the work to
a new group of readers—memory is a popular field of inquiry in the
humanities and social sciences—and putting it in a fresh interpretive light
for Howellsians and others interested
in the period."
— *The Howellsian*
    [image: ARTHUR LAURENTS POLITICS LOVE AND BETRAYAL]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/z2i6xb>
*Arthur Laurents: Love, Politics, and Betrayal*

*Just published! *
In examining Arthur Laurents's corpus, which spanned more than 60 years,
this book illuminates the history of the changing roles of women, Jews, and
gay men in America since the end of World War II and the evolution of
leftist, gender, & gay politics.
*See also *

*Cambria Contemporary Global Performing Arts Series
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/fvj6xb> (Editor: John Clum, Duke
University)*
   [image: RETHINKING CHINESENESS: TRANSLATIONAL SINOPHONE IDENTITIES IN
THE NANYANG LITERARY WORLD] <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/vnk6xb>
*Rethinking Chineseness*:

*Translational Sinophone Identities in the Nanyang Literary World *
This much-lauded study seeks to recuperate the lost narratives of
the Nanyang Chinese and to give voice to the roles they played during the
Japanese invasion and occupation of Malaya through the mechanism
of memory and memory reconstruction.

*Cambria Sinophone <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/bgl6xb>
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/r8l6xb>World Series
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/70m6xb> (Editor: Victor Mair, Univ.
of Pennylvania)*
   [image: PICTURING ARGENTINA: MYTHS, MOVIES, AND THE PERONIST VISION]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/ntn6xb>
*Picturing Argentina: Myths, Movies, and the Peronist Vision*
This highly praised book is the first study ever to examine systematically
the evolution of social attitudes reflected in Argentine movies throughout
the Peron years and that assesses the period’s impact on subsequent
filmmaking activity.

*Cambria <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/3lo6xb>
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/jep6xb>Latin American Literatures &
Cutlures Series <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/z6p6xb>(Editor:
Román de la Campa, Univ. of Pennylvania)*
            [image: VIRGINIA WOOLF: EXPERIMENTS IN CHARACTER]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/fzq6xb>
*Viriginia Woolf: Experiments in Character* shows how Woolf used characters
as a site of reconciliation between absent and
present character, essential and relational character, a reconciliation that
short circuits the complexities of vision proposed by the text into a sort
of transcendental simplicity of vision.
   [image: ANTIFEMINISM AND THE VICTORIAN NOVEL: REREADING
NINETEENTH-CENTURY WOMEN WRITERS]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/vrr6xb>
Recommended by *CHOICE*, *Antifeminism and the Victorian Novel *covers
writers featured as the anti-sensational bogeywomen of 19th-century
proto-feminism. A much-needed explosion of such dichotomies lays bare the
neglected complexities of domestic women’s writing and, in the process,
offers a significant remapping of 19th-century literary culture at large.
   [image: IAN MCEWAN: SEX, DEATH, AND HISTORY]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/bks6xb>
*Ian McEwan: Sex, Death, and History* shows that Ian McEwan’s interests in
opacity not only become clear in significance and import but that his
interests in human failure to coincide with one’s views about the past and
hopes for the future also appear as what they are: an ongoing concern with
how one relates to the complex operation of human history.

*Cambria Contemporary Literature Series
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/rct6xb> (Editor: Neil Murphy,
Nanyang Tech. Univ.)*
   [image: INTERNATIONAL MEDIEVALISM AND POPULAR CULTURE]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/74t6xb>
*International Medievalism and Popular Culture* investigates how the
diverse media of medievalism (print; film and television; arts and crafts;
fashion; digital media; clubs and fandom) affect its cultural meaning and
circulation, and its social function, and engage questions of desire,
gender and identity construction .

*Cambria  <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/nxu6xb> Classicism,
Orientalism, and Medievalism <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/3pv6xb>
Series  <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/jiw6xb> (Editor: Nickolas
Haydock, Univ. of Puerto Rico)*
           *Enjoy 35% discount off all hardcover titles!*  *Order by March
1, 2015.*
Use web coupon code *MLA15**  Libraries can use this too.*
          [image: Cambria Press]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/zax6xb>

Cambria Press <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/f3x6xb> is an
innovative publisher of academic research.
By providing a superior publishing experience
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/vvy6xb> with excellent outcomes
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/boz6xb>, Cambria Press is the first
choice for scholars <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/rg06xb>
worldwide.
*Stay updated on our MLA Book Giveaway Draw!*
LIKE us on *Facebook <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/7806xb>* · FOLLOW
us on *Twitter* <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/n116xb>
         *Questions or need assistance? *Contact Ben Goodman at
bgoodman at cambriapress.com
*www.cambriapress.com <https://t.e2ma.net/click/fr4fg/jaa8pg/3t26xb>*
             *Share this email:*
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/e/fr4fg/jaa8pg>
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/t/fr4fg/jaa8pg>
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/f/fr4fg/jaa8pg>
<https://t.e2ma.net/share/outbound/l/fr4fg/jaa8pg>       *Manage*
<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1770389/1736585/389577609/?v=a>
your preferences | *Opt out*
<https://t.e2ma.net/optout/fr4fg/jaa8pg?r=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcHAuZTJtYS5uZXQvYXBwMi9hdWRpZW5jZS9vcHRfb3V0LzE3NzAzODkvMTczNjU4NS8zODk1Nzc2MDkvP3Y9YQ==>
using *TrueRemove*™
Got this as a forward? *Sign up*
<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1770389/1736585.10350473/?v=a>
to receive our future emails.
View this email *online* <https://t.e2ma.net/message/fr4fg/jaa8pg>.
University
Corporate Centre 100 Corporate Parkway, Suite 128
Amherst, NY | 14226 US <#14aac1b764430aaa_>   This email was sent to
lima at geneseo.edu.
*To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.*
<http://lima@geneseo.edu>
 [image: powered by emma]
<http://www.myemma.com/powered-by-emma?utm_source=PoweredBy&utm_medium=Regular&utm_campaign=PoweredBy-Regular-1736585>