[Blackstudies-l] The Long, Wondrous Interview with Junot Díaz

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Fri Jan 16 09:41:48 EST 2015

   ivetteromero posted: " Jason Parham (Gawker Review of Books) highlights
a recent 13-page interview—Paradoxa poses an array of stimulating questions
to Junot Díaz—aptly calling it “The Long, Wondrous Interview with Junot
Díaz You Have to Read.” Here is his introduction (read"    Respond to this
post by replying above this line
      New post on *Repeating Islands*
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>  The Long, Wondrous
Interview with Junot Díaz
<http://repeatingislands.com/2015/01/16/the-long-wondrous-interview-with-junot-diaz/>

*[image: junotdoquxxnhuapcwepwn5b]
<https://repeatingislands.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/junotdoquxxnhuapcwepwn5b.jpg>*

*Jason Parham (Gawker Review of Books) highlights a recent 13-page
interview—Paradoxa <http://paradoxa.com/> poses an array of stimulating
questions to Junot Díaz—aptly calling it “The Long, Wondrous Interview
with Junot Díaz You Have to Read
<http://review.gawker.com/the-long-wondrous-interview-with-junot-diaz-you-have-t-1679460526>.”
Here is his introduction (read the full article in the link below):*

In a new interview with *Paradoxa <http://paradoxa.com/>*, Pulitzer-winning
author Junot Diaz speaks at length with Taryne Jade Taylor about the allure
of genre fiction, colonialism disguised as sci-fi, writing, and immigrating
to the U.S. at an early age (he refers to it as "a profound fracture of my
reality, a temporal and spatial anomaly"). During the interview, Diaz also
said that his attempt to write his new novel—which was excerpted
<http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/06/04/monstro> in a 2012 issue of
The New Yorker—has "ground to a halt," admitting, "I'm probably going to
have to abandon it."

*Here is one of Parham’s selections from the interview (on the irony of
science fiction):*

“I'm not alone in noting the irony that a genre like sf, historically
obsessed with alterity, should have so much trouble with actual people of
color and women and LGBT peoples. But when one understands the degree to
which nearly all our genres are haunted by, and have drawn a lot of their
meanings, materials, and structures from the traumatic Big Bang of
colonialism and its attendant matrixes of power (coloniality)— irony
strikes one as the least of our problems.

Alien invasions, natives, slavery, colonies, genocide, racial system,
savages, technological superiority, forerunner races and the ruins they
leave behind, travel between worlds, breeding programs, superpowered
whites, mechanized regimes that work humans to death, human/alien hybrids,
lost worlds—all have their roots in the traumas of colonialism.”

For full *Gawker* article, see
http://review.gawker.com/the-long-wondrous-interview-with-junot-diaz-you-have-t-1679460526

To read the full interview and more, get the latest issue of *Paradoxa*—No.
26 "Sf Now"—via their website <http://paradoxa.com/> (http://paradoxa.com/)

[Many thanks to Rod Fusco for bringing this item to our attention.]
  *ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* |
January 16, 2015 at 9:31 am | Tags: interviews
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=interviews>, Junot Diaz
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=junot-diaz>, Paradoxa
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=paradoxa>, The Long
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=the-long>, Wondrous Interview with Junot