[Blackstudies-l] Cultural Harmony Week Keynote Address

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Oct 15 14:25:41 EDT 2015

Cultural Harmony Week Keynote Address

Revisiting Transculturation:

the Emperor's New Clothes

A.   Lynn Bolles

Women’s Studies and Anthropology Emerita Faculty

 University of Maryland College Park

“Nothing is Destructible: Things merely change forms”

Zora Neale Hurston, *Dust Tracks on the Road” *(p. 226)

Our world is forever evolving in all kinds of ways from shifts in geography
and landscapes to the ways we as members of groups observe, engage and
contemplate these changes.  I argue that our own understanding of social,
economic and political shifts is also on the move destabilizing binaries,
making cultural contexts variable in practice and uneasy to pinpoint using
old criteria.  This presentation looks at a number of events in a handful
of cultures and societies to illustrate how things merely change forms in
new contexts.

 WHEN: October 19th, Monday, at 2:30 pm

WHERE: Ballroom
Maria Helena Lima