[Blackstudies-l] New Course: Black Lives Matter

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Tue Oct 27 12:54:17 EDT 2015

I need your help getting students  :)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stephen Almekinder <almekind at geneseo.edu>
Date: Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 8:09 AM
Subject: Fwd: Please add a Black Studies course to the Spring Semester
To: Maria Lima <Lima at geneseo.edu>, Paul Schacht <schacht at geneseo.edu>,
Savitri Iyer <iyer at geneseo.edu>, Julie King-Waite <waite at geneseo.edu>

I've added 56789 BLKS 288-01.  The proposed time block was not a standard
one so I had to change it to M F 230-345.  The class is in Welles 115. The
enrollment cap is set at 15.  Thank you.

BLKS 288: Black Lives Matter: An Interdisciplinary Introduction

Maria Helena Lima

Spring 2016

MF 2:30-3:45 PM

Welles 115

Geneseo students seem to be struggling to understand how so many black
lives have been destroyed legally through frequently unpunished police
brutality and mass incarceration.  So now seems the right moment to offer a
course exploring Black HUMANITY across history and disciplines against
systemic racism.  We will begin by looking at the “science” of the 19th
century that deemed Africans as less capable of reason to justify enslaving
them.  The Slave Trade transformed the world creating the wealth of Europe
but also the literatures and arts of the Black Atlantic.  We will spend
some time trying to understand *Negritude*, a philosophical movement that
attempted to characterize a different being for black people and what was
wrong with it.  We will end the semester with a close reading of Paul
Gilroy’s *Against Race* (2000).  At the core of our efforts will be the
emerging racial justice movement on the streets of Ferguson, New York City
and Baltimore (to name only a few).

Required Texts:

Ta-Nehisi Coates. *Between the World and Me* (2015).

Paul Gilroy. *Against Race* (2000).
Michelle M.  Wright. *Becoming Black: Creating Identity in the African
Diaspora *(2004).
All readings in Mycourses

Films:
*Slam*