[Blackstudies-l] the Caribbean Studies Association 41st annual conference will be in Haiti next year

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sun Sep 6 08:55:09 EDT 2015

Shouldn't we get a Geneseo panel together??

Marie-José Nzengou-Tayo started the topic Caribbean Studies Association
41st annual conference in Haiti in the discussion Francophone Literatures
and Cultures

"CARIBBEAN GLOBAL MOVEMENTS: PEOPLE, IDEAS, CULTURE, ARTS and ECONOMIC
SUSTAINABILITY

Hotel Karibe, Pétionville, Haïti, June 5-11, 2016

The Caribbean has always been the site of global interactions and
transactions. Movements from one place to the other across diverse
geographic locations and spaces (from island to island, the
circum-Caribbean and from the region to continental locations) have played
an important role in the dissemination of ideas and sharing of cultural
practices from the indigenous people’s pre-Columbian experience to the
contemporary Caribbean. Haitian scholar Michel Rolph Trouillot has argued
in Global Transformations, that the Caribbean has long been global with its
“massive flow of goods, peoples, information, and capital across huge areas
of the earth’s surface in ways that make the parts dependent on the whole”
(2003: 47). This conference will establish a cross-disciplinary and
trans-lingual encounter that will reinforce the intellectual integration of
various linguistic and spatial locations of the Caribbean. It will be also
an occasion to have much needed conversation about the vital contributions
of Haiti to the region and the world, particularly in terms of history of
resistance, knowledge production, and the arts.

The theme of the 2016 conference – Caribbean Global Movements: People,
Ideas, Culture, Arts and Economic Sustainability – proposes a focus on the
various movements that identify the Caribbean as located firmly in the
global currents, while also repositioning questions of knowledge and
sustainability. It also offers a space to think through the centrality of
Haiti in these movements and how we can envision and plan future movements.
It is expected that the conference will give the opportunity to showcase
the history, wealth and diversity of Haitian scholarship (institutional and
independent), which has contributed to unconventional and needed responses
to issues facing the country and the larger Caribbean. Overall, this
conference will examine how Caribbean global movements operate, as people,
ideas, and cultural arts from the Caribbean continue to have transnational
impact.

We are inviting scholarly papers, workshops, and roundtable proposals from
individuals spanning the broadest disciplinary and methodological range
whose work focuses upon the Caribbean and its Diaspora. We welcome
submissions that engage the complexities of the region, particularly in
terms of the intersections of gender, race, class, sexuality, nationality,
religion, etc. We are also very interested in workshop and roundtable
proposals that offer engaged discussion in any of the proposed topic areas
with a focus on solutions and models for change. We invite artists of all
kinds to submit work for consideration in the visual and performance arts
track and the film track – more specific calls for submissions will be
circulated.

We will be giving priority to fully constituted panels, in particular ones
that are multi-disciplinary and multilingual. We welcome submissions and
proposals on a range of topics that relate to the overall conference theme
within any of these topic areas, such as (but not limited to):

1) Caribbean migrations, including intra-island and circum-Caribbean
migrations; theories and impacts of globalisation on Caribbean societies,
and contesting insularity; the CSME and free movement of labour and
anti-immigration laws; addressing anti-Haitian sentiments and anti-Black
migration across the region.

2) Caribbean development and ideas for sustainable economic integration of
the Caribbean; neoliberal policies and the neo-colonial/postcolonial state
(violence and control); complications of tourism as the model for
development; Caribbean diasporas’ contribution to regional economies; the
place of local economies (from informal sectors to small business); climate
change impact on Caribbean economies, people and environments.

3) Caribbean labour and social movements; Caribbean domestic and sexual
labour within regional and global economies; the politics of disaster
relief and humanitarian aid (in Haiti especially); food sovereignty and
Caribbean agribusiness; regional industries, infrastructure and production;
the politics of labour movements in the region.

4) Caribbean intellectual and socio-political movements -- radical
intellectual history in relation to philosophy, knowledge production, and
Haiti; Caribbean feminisms and grassroots activism; Caribbean men’s
movements; social justice and civil society organisations; and education
for social change.

5) Caribbean creative imagination and spiritual movements -- Caribbean arts
and craft as global commodities; internationalization of reggae and
Rastafari; Caribbean style, music and dance cultures; Haitian visual art
and global cultural circuits; performance and Carnival culture;
Afro-Caribbean spirituality and religious movements.

We provide a setting where multi- and inter-disciplinary views are strongly
encouraged, where the arts and humanities meet the social sciences, and
where different ways of seeing and communicating about the world are
presented by a diverse array of participants. In order to facilitate
inter-disciplinary exchange, we encourage our members to propose ideas for
papers and panels, by way of contacting others to create multi-disciplinary
and multi-lingual panels at our website’s forum. We also encourage members
to invite a range of participants, from independent and emerging scholars
to well-known scholars, from professionals in industry, politics, etc. to
activists, artists, and community-based researchers.

We are re-establishing the CSA practice of sharing abstracts and complete
papers at the conference to nourish scholarship and exchange with the plan
of publishing (selected) conference proceedings in 2017 (curated and edited
by the 2016 conference Program Chairs and CSA 2015-16 President).

Guidelines for Panel/Paper Submissions

All proposals must be submitted electronically via the CSA website (NOT via
email). The deadline for individual and panel submissions is October 15,
2015.

        Abstracts must not exceed 125 words for individual papers or 250
words for panels.
        Titles for individual papers and for panels, roundtables or
workshops must not exceed 70 characters (we reserve the right to edit for
brevity).
        Proposed panels or roundtables should contain at least 3 and no
more than 4 presenters, and panel chairperson must be named in the proposal.
        Paper titles and abstracts should be submitted in at least one
other language besides English (Spanish, French or Haitian Kreyol, Dutch or
Papiamento); multilingual abstracts will be published in the electronic
version of the program.
        Panels should strive to represent a diversity of languages, rank,
affiliations and disciplines (i.e., inclusion of graduate students and
junior scholars on panels with senior scholars, activists, and/or
practitioners; panels composed of social science, arts and humanities
scholars).
        Papers/presentations that require special equipment, installation
space, rooms, translation services, etc., must be indicated on the
submission form.
        Workshops should be strategy focused and directly engage in the
topic areas, and must include clearly stated outcomes and goals.
        Presentations of films and visual and performing arts, as well as
related panels, are welcome. Please see the 2016 Film and Visual &
Performing Arts Committee Call for Proposals for information and submission
instructions.

Membership dues must be paid by January 15, 2016 (as per the CSA
constitution, we are returning to annual membership fees by calendar year;
therefore annual membership ends 31 December) and Conference Registration
must be paid by March 1, 2016 in order for papers/panels to appear in the
conference program. Membership and registration details are available on
the CSA website.

CSA offers a limited number of travel grants to assist current and
potential members who do not have access to any funding from their
institutions or countries, and who will not be able to attend the
conference without assistance, in exchange for volunteer work during the
conference. Additional details about travel grants criteria and
applications are available on the CSA website.

For additional information or help with suggested topics, submission forms,
author celebration, literary salon, film and arts tracks, and/or
translation, please contact the CSA Program Co-Chairs, Marie-José
Nzengou-Tayo and Angelique V. Nixon, at
program.chair at caribbeanstudiesassociation.org<u>.</u>"

To view or reply, log in and go to:
https://commons.mla.org/groups/francophone-literatures-and-cultures/forum/topic/caribbean-studies-association-41st-annual-conference-in-haiti/

Or to disable notifications for *all* your groups, click: