[Blackstudies-l] New Film: Gloria Rolando’s “Diálogo con mi abuela”

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sun Apr 24 08:11:12 EDT 2016

ivetteromero posted: " Cuban filmmaker Gloria Rolando (Gloria V. Rolando
Casamayor ) will soon premiere her latest film, the documentary Diálogo con
mi abuela [Dialogue with My Grandmother] (2016). Diálogo con mi abuela will
be screened on April 25, 2016, at the Charles Chapl"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> New Film: Gloria
Rolando’s “Diálogo con mi abuela”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/04/23/new-film-gloria-rolandos-dialogo-con-mi-abuela/>

*[image: miabuelaposter]*

*Cuban filmmaker Gloria Rolando (Gloria V. Rolando Casamayor ) will soon
premiere her latest film, the documentary Diálogo con mi abuela [Dialogue
with My Grandmother] (2016). Diálogo con mi abuela will be screened on
April 25, 2016, at the Charles Chaplin Theater in Havana, Cuba. Negra
cubana tenía que ser writes about the new documentary and includes
Rolando’s own description of the film; here are excerpts (my translation
from the Spanish original):*

Gloria Rolando has extensive film work on the African and Caribbean roots
of Cuban culture and has addressed important events of Cuban history, such
as the case of the massacre of the Independents of Color. In 2014, Rolando
premiered *Reembarque* [Reshipment], which focuses on the process of
repatriation of Haitian immigrants who were brought to Cuba as cheap labor
to work for the sugar industry.

This time, the filmmaker approaches her own family history, starting with
the close relationship she had with her grandmother, Inocencia; a
testimonial narrative (told in first person) that brings us closer to the
everyday life of Cuban women of African descent.

*Excerpt of “Diálogo con el espectador” (Afro-Cuba Web, 10 February 2016): *

In 1993 I recorded a conversation I had with my grandmother Inocencia,
never imagining that this would be the basis of a very particular dialogue.
My grandmother’s name was Leonarda Inocencia Armas y Abreu. She was born in
1906 in the city of Santa Clara. She was very proud that her grandchildren
had been able to study. She was black and poor, and, at one point, wanted
to be a nurse.

“Diálogo con mi abuela” [Dialogue with my grandmother] is an audiovisual
work in which I mix documentary elements and a few fictional moments. A
dialogue between reality and imagination joined by the poetry of everyday
life. Nature (flowers, the forest, tree roots, the leafy Ceiba, the sea,
the sky, the sun) is also integrated into the language of “Diálogo con mi
abuela,” because each element plays a role in the visual narrative.

See full article and Gloria Rolando’s description of the project (in
Spanish) at
https://negracubanateniaqueser.com/2016/04/23/dialogo-con-mi-abuela-nuevo-documental-de-gloria-rolando/
and http://www.afrocubaweb.com/gloriarolando/mi-abuela.html.
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | April