[Blackstudies-l] Anger Over ‘Blackface’ Marley Filter

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Tue Apr 26 02:02:58 EDT 2016

lisaparavisini posted: " Snapchat filter that superimposes Bob Marley’s
dreadlocks and hat onto a person’s face has been attacked as racist and
disrespectful, The St Lucia Times reports. Some social media users likened
it to a digital “blackface” – the practice in the early days"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> Anger Over ‘Blackface’
Marley Filter
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/04/25/anger-over-blackface-marley-filter/> by

[image: img_6404.jpg]

Snapchat filter that superimposes Bob Marley’s dreadlocks and hat onto a
person’s face has been attacked as racist and disrespectful, *The St Lucia
Times <http://stluciatimes.com/2016/04/21/anger-blackface-marley-filter>*
reports <http://stluciatimes.com/2016/04/21/anger-blackface-marley-filter>.

Some social media users likened it to a digital “blackface” – the practice
in the early days of film where white actors would portray a black person.

Others thought its release – on 22 April, a day associated with a
counterculture celebration of cannabis – was playing into a simple
stereotype of the reggae legend.

“It’s disgusting to see what @Snapchat has done today. So we’re going to
whittle Bob Marley down to weed. Plus blackface. Amazing. #its2016,”
tweeted Jade Mc Donnough.

“That Bob Marley filter on snapchat is extremely disrespectful,”
added ‎@LoveSheaa.

Mack tweeted: “I’d count the number of things wrong with that Bob Marley
Snapchat filter, but I don’t have time to count to infinity.”

Others simply called it “creepy” and “freaky”.

But some said they had no problem with the curious homage to Marley and
posted pictures showing their Marley alter-ego.

American reality star Kylie Jenner was one of those to try out the strange
effect, pulling in over 1,100 likes.

Snapchat was forced to put out a statement.

It said the gimmick had been produced with the blessing of Marley’s family.

“The lens we launched today was created in partnership with the Bob Marley
Estate, and gives people a new way to share their appreciation for Bob
Marley and his music,” said the statement.

“Millions of Snapchatters have enjoyed Bob Marley’s music, and we respect
his life and achievements.”
April 25, 2016 at 10:36 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/?cat=103> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-oZp

Comment
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/04/25/anger-over-blackface-marley-filter/#respond>
   See all comments