[Blackstudies-l] A 4 AM Conversation with “Annie John”

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sun Aug 14 08:19:45 EDT 2016

ivetteromero posted: "Red for Gender’s Feminist Conversations on Caribbean
Life just posted a fascinating essay on black feminisms by Georgia G.P.
Love, “A 4 AM Conversation with Annie John.” She starts with her childhood
reading of Jamaica Kincaid’s Annie John and explores ho"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> A 4 AM Conversation with
“Annie John”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/08/13/a-4-am-conversation-with-annie-john/>

[image: JamacaKincaid_AnnieJohn (1)]Red for Gender’s* Feminist
Conversations on Caribbean Life <https://redforgender.wordpress.com/>* just*
posted a fascinating essay on black feminisms by Georgia G.P. Love, “A 4 AM
Conversation with Annie John.” She starts with her childhood reading of
Jamaica Kincaid’s Annie John and explores how this and other projects by
black women help “unsettle binaries and position intersections.” Here are
excerpts:*

*Annie John <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_John>* by Jamaica Kincaid
may have been the dark rabbit hole that led me tumbling unconsciously into
a world of black feminisms. At 13 years old when many of my classmates had
decided it was “nasty” and “weird” because of its explorations of sexuality
and intimacy between women, I remember devouring it and feeling an
intuitional ease with Annie.

It was set in the Caribbean, the region where I grew up, and her persona
and life mirrored mine with her melancholic disposition, stable family home
and top tier education all with their lessons about womanhood and
separation from inherited legacies. Here I am 22 years later engaged in my
own feminist crisis of faith and I return to Annie as I move into a kind of
dark night of the soul.

*Black Feminisms*

When Audre Lorde says “the erotic has often been misnamed by men and used
against women”, similarly blackness has been libeled and used against black
women. Images of black as savage, unfeminine, undesirable and inadequate.
>From the vantage point of their blackness womanists/feminists astutely
pointed out that feminism can’t be a single issue movement as long as we
live multi issue lives. The organizers of the Black Feminisms Forum have
deliberately pluralized feminisms because black women are night women who
often push forward in several different ways with only the moonlight to
guide our feet. Black women may never get their due for their contributions
to feminism, because as Doreen St. Felix said in her article
<http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/724-the-prosperity-gospel-of-rihanna/> about
Rihanna, to be a black woman and genius, is to be perpetually owed.

Black women help us unsettle binaries and position intersections in social
and personal identities as an analytical cornerstone. From this cornerstone
we can explore blackness in its breadth and variance in our feminisms.
Black women quickly learned that light-less conditions often require
patience, to allow our eyes to adjust so we can see. With our hidden
secrets tucked in our darkest places to guard our erotic power, it’s our
nimbleness in unchartered dark territories, where uncertain futures have
been our only birthright and our willingness to engage places of unknowing
which fuel our rage against racism and misogyny. We’ve dived into social
and intellectual black holes in order “to make our lives and the lives of
our children richer and more possible. Within the celebration of the erotic
in all our endeavors, [our] work becomes a conscious decision—a longed-for
bed, which [we] enter gracefully and from which [we] rise up empowered.” [.
. .]

For full article, see https://redforgender.wordpress.com/2016/08/13/a-4-
am-conversation-with-annie-john-blackfeminisms/
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | August
13, 2016 at 4:28 pm | Tags: Annie John
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=annie-john>, Antigua
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=antigua>, black feminism