[Blackstudies-l] New film by Raoul Peck: “I Am Not Your Negro”

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Wed Aug 24 06:40:16 EDT 2016

ivetteromero posted: " Haitian-born director Raoul Peck will present the
World Premiere of his new film I Am Not Your Negro (2016;
USA/France/Belgium/Switzerland; 93 minutes, PG) at the Toronto
International Film Festival (tiff), which takes places September 8-18,
2016. Desc"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> New film by Raoul Peck:
“I Am Not Your Negro”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/08/23/new-film-by-raoul-peck-i-am-not-your-negro/>

*[image: IamNotYourNegro_01]*

*Haitian-born director Raoul Peck will present the World Premiere of his
new film **I Am Not Your Negro (2016; USA/France/Belgium/Switzerland; 93
minutes, PG) at the Toronto International Film Festival (tiff), which takes
places September 8-18, 2016.*

*Description (by Cameron Bailey, tiff):* Working from the text of James
Baldwin’s unfinished final novel, director Raoul Peck *(Moloch
Tropical*, *Murder
in Pacot*) creates a stunning meditation on what it means to be Black in
America.

In 1979, James Baldwin wrote a letter to his literary agent describing his
new endeavour: the writing of his final book, *Remember This House*,
recounting the lives and successive assassinations of his friends Medgar
Evers, Malcolm X, and Martin Luther King, Jr. Baldwin was not able to
complete the book before his death, and the unfinished manuscript was
entrusted to director Raoul Peck [. . .] by the writer's estate.

Built exclusively around Baldwin's words, Peck's *I Am Not Your Negro* delves
into the complex legacy of three lives (and deaths) that permanently marked
the American social and political landscape. Framing the unfinished work as
a radical narration about race in America, Peck matches Baldwin's lyrical
rhetoric with rich archival footage of the Civil Rights and Black Power
movements, and connects these historical struggles for justice and equality
to the present-day movements that have taken shape in response to the
killings of young African-American men including Trayvon Martin, Tamir
Rice, Mike Brown, and Amir Brooks.

Exploring what it means to be Black in America today, Peck reflects on the
legacy of racial violence that still permeates the country. In Baldwin's
words, "You cannot lynch me and keep me in ghettos without becoming
something monstrous yourselves. And furthermore, you give me a terrifying
advantage: you never had to look at me; I had to look at you. I know more
about you than you know about me. Not everything that is faced can be
changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." By revealing the
deep connections between past and present injustice, *I Am Not Your
Negro *weaves
an epic narrative about America's irrational relationship with skin
colour—a relationship that would be absurd were it not so tragic.

*Raoul Peck* was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. His many films include *Haitian
Corner* (1988), *The Man on the Shore *(1993), *Sometimes in April* (2005),
and the documentary *Fatal Assistance* (2013). His films *Lumumba* (2000)
and *Murder in Pacot* (2014) screened at the Festival. *I Am Not Your
Negro* (2016)
is his latest feature.

*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | August
23, 2016 at 11:59 pm | Tags: Haiti <http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=haiti>,