[Blackstudies-l] Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Leadership & Service, Monday, January 18, 9:45 – 3:00 pm | MacVittie College Union Ballroom

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Tue Jan 12 09:12:51 EST 2016

 The program will begin with a keynote address by Dr. Emilye Crosby on "Dr.
King and the Movement, and Why It Matters Today."

The deadline for registrations in noon Friday to confirm numbers for
lunch.  The link to register is gold.geneseo.edu.  Here are all the
postings for the day and all students need to do is click the register line
after the description. They/You need to register for the day and then for
one of the workshops.

*Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Leadership & Service [Social
Justice Series] [MLK Jr. Day of Leadership & Service ] (Diamond)*
*Monday, January 18, 9:45 – 3:00 pm | MacVittie College Union Ballroom*
The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Leadership and Service will take
place in the MacVittie College Union from 9:45 am to 3:00 pm on January 18,
2016. This day of leadership and service is planned as an
inter-generational and interfaith event with SUNY Geneseo students and area
senior citizen volunteers learning and working together on important
community outreach efforts. Signing up for this "workshop" includes
registration and participation in the entire program from the opening
keynote at 10:00 am through the service projects in the afternoon ending at
3:00 pm. The program will begin with a keynote address by Dr. Emilye Crosby
on "Dr. King and the Movement, and Why It Matters Today." One hour GOLD
workshops will follow at 11:15 am and all participants must select and
register for one of the five topics. Lunch is included with special guest,
Lulu Westbrooks-Griffin, who will share her story as a young black girl
arrested and imprisoned for protesting at a whites-only movie theatre in
Americus, Georgia in 1963. After lunch volunteers will make 400 soups kits,
rice packets and hygiene kits for food pantries; backpack lunches for low
income K-12 students in area schools; fleece blankets for veterans; and
greeting cards for migrant families and veterans. The program will also
feature musical selections by student soloists. The GOLD Program at SUNY
Geneseo is partnering with Student & Campus Life, Center for Community,
Multicultural Programs & Services, Volunteerism & Service Learning,
Residence Life, Student Life, Student Association, Geneseo Interfaith
Service Project (GISP), Campus Auxiliary Services, Livingston CARES and the
Livingston County Office for the Aging to celebrate the life and legacy of
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
*Instructors: Dr. Emilye Crosby - Professor, History; Lulu
Westbrooks-Griffin - Civil Rights Activist*
*[Register for Diamond Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16003_Diamond>

*Community Resource Mapping [CIDD] [MLK Jr. Day of Leadership & Service ]
(Sapphire) or (Diamond) or (Jade) *Required Workshop*
*Monday, January 18, 11:15 – 12:15 pm | MOSAIC*
Civic engagement begins with mapping your community. Every community has a
unique history, a specific demographic composition, overlapping
organizations and institutions and a particular matrix of human economic
and geographic resources. This workshop will provide a conceptual and
practical understanding of how individuals and/or groups may overcome
obstacles and leverage resources to accomplish goals and positive change
through civic and community engagement. Please note that this workshop is
required for the Diamond Certificate and an option for the Sapphire and
Jade Certificates.
*Instructor: Wes Kennison - Class of '79, and Faculty Fellow for
International Studies*
*[Register for Sapphire Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16002_Sapphire>
*[Register for Diamond Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16002_Diamond>
*[Register for Jade Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16002_Jade>

*Giving a Global Voice to Emancipation: How Does Martin Luther King Jr.s'
International Vision Influence Leaders Today? [MLK Jr. Day of Leadership &
Service ] (Opal) or (Diamond)*
*Monday, January 18, 11:15 – 12:15 pm | MacVittie College Union Hunt Room*
In the Hebrew Bible, the Book of Psalms was the songbook that reminded the
ancient Hebrew community of their victories and struggles as they faced the
challenges of their time. Dr. King lifted up voices from America, West
Africa, India, Ancient Greece and Rome to mind us of how far we have come
and how far we still must go to live up to the foundational principles of
equality and freedom. The past year's celebration of American emancipation
raises key issues for global leadership today. Every time we revisit the
documents that outline our democratic values, we must wrestle with the ways
in which our generation has or has not lived up to those ideals. McClure
will explore a variety of ways in which these texts have been used to
inspire civic activism and the development of regional identity as it
pertains to leadership in government, education and business.
*Instructor: Glenn McClure - Lecturer, English*
*[Register for Opal Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16004_Opal>
*[Register for Diamond Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16004_Diamond>

*Servant Leadership [CIDD] [Town Gown Success] [MLK Jr. Day of Leadership &
Service ] (Gold) or (Sapphire) or (Diamond)*
*Monday, January 18, 11:15 – 12:15 pm | CU 322/323*
Robert K. Greenleaf defined servant leadership as the natural feeling by an
individual to serve first and everything else will fall into place. This
leadership model values the education, inspiration and development of
others and the direct relationship it has with servant leadership. In a
relaxed, fun, and participatory atmosphere, participants are given a brief
introduction to the concept of servant leadership, are offered examples of
servant leaders, and then encouraged to explore other leaders and
leadership opportunities for the elements of servant leadership. One of the
principle benefits of this workshop is that it provides a different context
and new language for participants to learn in discussing and analyzing
leadership.
*Instructor: Tamara H. Kenney - Director of Student Care Svcs & Title IX
Coord for Students, Student & Campus Life*
*[Register for Gold Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16005_Gold>
*[Register for Sapphire Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16005_Sapphire>
*[Register for Diamond Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16005_Diamond>

*# The Power of 1 Starts with You [MLK Jr. Day of Leadership & Service ]
(Opal) or (Diamond)*
*Monday, January 18, 11:15 – 12:15 pm | MacVittie College Union Room 319*
The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and
friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders
through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans
and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online at
VeteransCrisisLine.net, or send a text message to 838255 to receive
confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Support for deaf and hard of hearing individuals is available. Participants
will engage in conversation with two individuals personally involved
meeting the needs of Veterans through the resources available at the
Veteran Crisis Line as featured in the Oscar winning short documentary
film, "Veteran Crisis Line Press 1."
*Instructors: Julianne Mullane - Team Operations Manager, Canandaigua VA
Medical Center; Kelly Mohrman - LCSW, Suicide Prevention Coordinator,
Canandaigua VA Medical Center*
*[Register for Opal Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16007_Opal>
*[Register for Diamond Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16007_Diamond>

*Volunteerism, Engagement & Service [The Golden Ticket to Success] [MLK Jr.
Day of Leadership & Service ] (Amethyst) or (Sapphire)*
*Monday, January 18, 11:15 – 12:15 pm | GOLD Leadership Center, MacVittie
114*
Volunteerism is an active form of exercising leadership for the common
good. This session is an introduction to volunteerism, community
engagement, and service learning. You will learn a conceptual framework for
volunteer service and explore the myriad of opportunities to volunteer in
the Geneseo and Greater Livingston and Monroe County area or the Livingston
County CARES programs and projects in Harrison County, Mississippi. Learn
how to get the most out of your volunteer experience by choosing a
volunteer and service opportunity that will benefit you, as well as the
recipients. This workshop is required for the Sapphire Certificate but not
for the Amethyst.
*Instructor: Samantha Hebel - Coordinator of Student Leadership,
Volunteerism and Service, Center for Community*
*[Register for Amethyst Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16006_Amethyst>
*[Register for Sapphire Certificate Credit]*
<http://gold.geneseo.edu/register/add.php?crn=16006_Sapphire>

--
Tom Matthews, Ed.D.
Associate Dean of Leadership and Service
Matthews at geneseo.edu
www.gold.geneseo.edu
www.livingstoncares.geneseo.edu
www.buildingleadersonehouratatime.com