[Blackstudies-l] The Role of Historically Black Colleges in the 21st Century

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Fri May 6 12:18:53 EDT 2016

http://www.forbes.com/sites/under30network/2016/05/02/roi-on-hbcus-the-role-of-historically-black-colleges-in-the-21st-century/#35d9ecad3d7a

To view this email as a web page, go here
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/vm2/6a803719bdf8043b/25043/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba>

[image: AACU]
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/ec11d9a16030ab9f3947229f28c3afba>
*Weekly Liberal Education News Watch*
*Week of May 2–6, 2016*

See these important recent articles of interest to AAC&U members—and all
those who care about liberal education and inclusive excellence. AAC&U
archives other liberal education news stories online at
www.aacu.org/liberal-education-news-watch
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/01dc1ac007c3968f3947229f28c3afba>and
stories on issues of equity and inclusive excellence at
www.aacu.org/press/news-watch/inclusive-excellence.
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/e0fd5f25c0c38e553947229f28c3afba>
Op-ed: Liberal Arts Education Lays Groundwork for Lifetime Learning
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/fd518c4ec55b44c63947229f28c3afba>
The Salt Lake Tribune
What do you want to be when you grow up? When I ask my grandson this
question, I get answers like firefighter, scientist, or professional soccer
player. I wanted to be a doctor. I ended up an accountant, fundraiser, and
then college president. The "What do you want to be?" question often weighs
heavily on high school seniors this time of year as they choose a
university and feel pressure to pick a major and career. After 35 years at
Westminster College, I've seen that students' futures rarely rest on which
major they choose. Read more
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/d9235279c9d4189a3947229f28c3afba>

Liberal Education in Tough Times
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/5bad13cf48b20dbc3947229f28c3afba>
HuffPost College
“College Choice” day has just passed, and many high school seniors are now
anticipating the beginning of their undergraduate careers. Meanwhile, on
campuses across the country thousands of undergraduates are preparing for
the end of the semester, and almost everybody in college is wondering how
they are going to translate what they are learning at school into what they
will do after graduation. Read more
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/7c5f4f70e7b5dd593947229f28c3afba>

Is a Liberal Arts Education Worth It?
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/59eb1cf4b793d5143947229f28c3afba>
Winter Park/Maitland Observer
“What are the questions that you want to ask in this class? In what way are
we going to explore those questions? How will this exploration, this
pursuit of answers, add to your preparation to address your community’s
greatest needs?” These are the questions and conversations I have with
students on the first day of class, regardless of the subject I am
teaching. Read more
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/4c4ea4e827ef62af3947229f28c3afba>

ROI on HBCUs: The Role Of Historically Black Colleges in the 21st Century
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/753c50e549bd39b63947229f28c3afba>
Forbes
In Mrs. McKeever’s third grade class, I remember reciting one of Malcolm
X’s famous quotes: “We didn’t land on Plymouth Rock, Plymouth Rock landed
on us!” I’m not sure anybody in my classroom had an idea what he was
talking about, not even Mrs. McKeever. As a culturally-exposed black
student, I had a question: *How could I become fully educated if the
history books and curriculum presents only one perspective of the world?*
My answer was to choose to attend Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA. Read
more
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/e10e42ee60b1bfce3947229f28c3afba>

How to Reap the Financial Benefits of Your Degree
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/ae0212873537569b3947229f28c3afba>
Deseret News
At the end of April and beginning of May, students across the nation trade
in their textbooks and I.D. cards for a diploma. And, in many cases, a lot
of debt. Read more
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/74e575d609d4b8dd3947229f28c3afba>

AAC&U
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/f699dd4254d0cbef3947229f28c3afba>

To manage your AAC&U e-mail preferences, click here
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/c23d9b1d7f8293683947229f28c3afba>
.
Association of American Colleges and Universities
1818 R Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 387-3760
<http://portal.criticalimpact.com/go/1/56defea127a2c7bb3947229f28c3afba/25043/6a803719bdf8043b/c9c9b2e7d85de74e3947229f28c3afba>