[Blackstudies-l] New Book—“A History of Florida: through Black Eyes”

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu May 26 10:15:31 EDT 2016

ivetteromero posted: " Many thanks to Geoffrey Philp for sharing news about
this new publication by Dr. Marvin Dunn—A History of Florida: Through Black
Eyes (2016). The author writes: I know Florida. I was born in Florida
during the reign of Jim Crow and have lived to see bl"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> New Book—“A History of
Florida: Through Black Eyes”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/05/26/new-book-a-history-of-florida-through-black-eyes/>

*[image: blackeyes.bp+PL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_]*

*Many thanks to Geoffrey Philp for sharing news about this new publication
by Dr. Marvin Dunn—A History of Florida: Through Black Eyes (2016).*

*The author writes: *I know Florida. I was born in Florida during the reign
of Jim Crow and have lived to see black astronauts blasted into the heavens
from Cape Canaveral. For three quarters of a century I have lived mostly in
Florida. I have seen her flowers and her warts. This book is about both.
People of African descent have been in Florida from the arrival of Ponce de
Leon in 1513, yet our presence in the state is virtually hidden. A casual
glance at most Florida history books depict African Americans primarily as
laborers who are shown as backdrops to white history. The history of blacks
in Florida has been deliberately distorted, omitted and marginalized. We
have been denied our heroes and heroines. Our stories have mainly been left
untold. This book lifts the veil from some of these stories and places
African Americans in the very marrow of Florida history.

The author has announced that his new book may be obtained in three ways:
through the publisher, Createspace.com <http://createspace.com/>; through
Amazon.com; or, for a signed copy, send check or money order for $39.99
payable to All Sunlight Consulting,Inc. at 8541 SW 181 Street, Palmetto
Bay, Florida 33157. (The price includes shipping. Your copy will be mailed
by June 7, 2016.)

*Marvin Dunn* taught in the Department of Psychology at Florida
International University for 34 years. He holds a PhD in psychology from
the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. He co-authored *The Miami Riot of
1980: Crossing the Bounds* (1984), with Bruce Porter, and authored *Black
Miami in the Twentieth Century* (1997), and *The Beast in Florida: A
History of Anti-Black Violence* (2012). He has directed three documentary
films: *Black Seminoles in the Bahamas: The Red Bays Story*; *Murder on the
Suwannee River: The Willie James Howard Story*; and *Rosewood Uncovered*.

Purchasing options online:

Createspace.com/5876403 <http://createspace.com/5876403> (For best benefit
to the author please use this source.)

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/History-Florida-Through-Black-Eyes/dp/1519372671/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464271592&sr=1-1&keywords=A+History+of+Florida%3A+Through+Black+Eyes
<//www.amazon.com/History-Florida-Through-Black-Eyes/dp/1519372671/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464271592&sr=1-1&keywords=A+History+of+Florida%3A+Through+Black+Eyes>
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | May 26,
2016 at 10:12 am | Tags: A History of Florida: Through Black Eyes
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=a-history-of-florida-through-black-eyes>,
Bahamas <http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=bahamas>, Florida
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=florida>, Marvin Dunn
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=marvin-dunn> | Categories: Caribbean