[Blackstudies-l] New Book/ Tell My Mother I Gone to Cuba: Stories of Early Twentieth-Century Migration from Barbados by Sharon Milagro Marshall

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Tue Oct 11 11:43:04 EDT 2016

lisaparavisini posted: " Tell My Mother I Gone to Cuba: Stories of Early
Twentieth-Century Migration from Barbados Sharon Milagro Marshall
who migrated to Cuba in the early twentieth century in search of"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> New Book/ Tell My
Mother I Gone to Cuba: Stories of Early Twentieth-Century Migration from
Barbados by Sharon Milagro Marshall
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/10/10/new-book-tell-my-mother-i-gone-to-cuba-stories-of-early-twentieth-century-migration-from-barbados-by-sharon-milagro-marshall/>

[image: unnamed-1]

*Tell My Mother I Gone to Cuba: Stories of Early* *Twentieth-Century
Migration from Barbados*

Sharon Milagro Marshall

*Description*: Barbadians were among the thousands of British West Indians
who migrated to Cuba in the early twentieth century in search of work. They
were drawn there by employment opportunities fuelled largely by US
investment in Cuban sugar plantations. *Tell My Mother I Gone to Cuba:
Stories of Early Twentieth-Century Migration from Barbados* is their story.

The migrants were citizens of the British Empire, and their ill-treatment
in Cuba led to a diplomatic squabble between British and Cuban authorities.
The author draws from contemporary newspaper articles, official records,
journals and books to set the historical contexts which initiated this
intra-Caribbean migratory wave.

Through oral histories, it also gives voice to the migrants’ compelling
narratives of their experience in Cuba. One of the oral histories recorded
in the book is that of the author’s mother, who was born in Cuba of
Barbadian parents.

“*Tell My Mother I Gone to Cuba* is incomparably relevant as a sociological
documentation of the times and circumstances of a people who had to grow
roots in a foreign environment, adapt, resist and develop a whole new set
of principles founded on the bedrock of the initial home-grown ones. It is
a tale of resilience, bravery and ability to bend without breaking. It is
sure to become the source on the subject of Barbadian migration to and
settlement in Cuba”.

*—Carlos Moore*, ethnologist and social scientist

*SHARON MILAGRO MARSHALL* is an award-winning journalist and public
relations executive

For more information visit: http://bit.ly/2dEfl83
October 10, 2016 at 7:23 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/?cat=103> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-rjM

Comment
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/10/10/new-book-tell-my-mother-i-gone-to-cuba-stories-of-early-twentieth-century-migration-from-barbados-by-sharon-milagro-marshall/#respond>
   See all comments