[Blackstudies-l] HARRY BELAFONTE CALLS ON ‘HUNDREDS’ OF BLACK ATHLETES TO STAND WITH COLIN KAEPERNICK

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Sep 3 10:05:50 EDT 2016

lisaparavisini posted: " A report from eurweb. Follow this link to the
original report for videos. Today on News One Now, Host and Managing Editor
Roland S. Martin spoke with humanitarian and civil rights activist Harry
Belafonte in an exclusive interview about his thoughts on"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> HARRY BELAFONTE CALLS
ON ‘HUNDREDS’ OF BLACK ATHLETES TO STAND WITH COLIN KAEPERNICK
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/09/02/harry-belafonte-calls-on-hundreds-of-black-athletes-to-stand-with-colin-kaepernick/>

[image: harry-belafonte-newsone-now-759x375.jpg]

A report from *eurweb*. Follow this link to the original report
<https://www.eurweb.com/2016/09/harry-belafonte-calls-on-hundreds-of-black-athletes-to-stand-with-colin-kaepernick/>
for
videos.

Today on *News One Now, *Host and Managing Editor *Roland S. Martin* spoke
with humanitarian and civil rights activist *Harry Belafonte* in an
exclusive interview about his thoughts on San Francisco 49ers
quarterback *Colin
Kaepernick*‘s decision to not stand for the National Anthem to display his
personal disdain for America which does not value it’s veterans as well as
black lives.

Belafonte said that as an American civil rights activist who also had a
strong and influential platform to voice his opinions about America’s
treatment of African-Americans, he is very proud of Kaepernick protest.

“To mute the slave has always been to the best interest of the slave
owner,” said Belafonte. ”I think that when a Black voice is raised in
protest to oppression, those who are comfortable with our oppression are
the first to criticize us for daring to speak out against it. I think that
it’s a noble thing that he [Kaepernick} has done. I think that speaking out
and making people aware of the fact that you are paying homage to an anthem
that also has a constituency that by the millions suffer – it’s a righteous
thing to do. The fact that these people are having these ’how dare you
speak out against lynching out of all of the things’ that racism stands
for, or the conclusion to racist acts a permit, I think is a statement
about America.”

Martin also spoke with ESPN’s High Questionable co-host *Bomani Jones*
about his colleague, Bleacher Report Mike Freeman’s article about NFL
executive’s negative comments about Kaepernick’s protest.

“This is not an attempt or a request from the majority or the establishment
to cosign what he’s saying,” said Jones. “He needs to fully understand that
if he is out here alone on this one, he is out here alone and this is the
fight he is willing to take up. Carmelo [Anthony] and those guys it was
very clear in the way they parsed their words and the way they said things.
They wanted to say something, but nobody was going to lose a dime in the
process of saying it. Kaepernick seems willing to lose it all…”
September 2, 2016 at 11:53 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/?cat=103> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-qEW

Comment
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/09/02/harry-belafonte-calls-on-hundreds-of-black-athletes-to-stand-with-colin-kaepernick/#respond>
   See all comments