[Blackstudies-l] Magnolia Pictures Acquires Rights to “I Am Not Your Negro”

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Fri Sep 16 12:49:52 EDT 2016

ivetteromero posted: " According to Variety, Magnolia Pictures has picked
up North American rights to I Am Not Your Negro, Raoul Peck’s documentary
film based on James Baldwin’s unfinished novel Remember This House
(considered one of the great uncompleted works in U.S. litera"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Magnolia Pictures
Acquires Rights to “I Am Not Your Negro”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2016/09/16/magnolia-pictures-acquires-rights-to-i-am-not-your-negro/>

*[image: baldwin_0]*

*According to Variety, Magnolia Pictures has picked up North American
rights to I Am Not Your Negro, Raoul Peck’s documentary film based on James
Baldwin <http://variety.com/t/james-baldwin/>’s unfinished novel Remember
This House (considered one of the great uncompleted works in U.S.
literature). Wide House is representing international rights.* *Variety’s
Brent Lang and Ramin Setoodeh write:*

It is directed by Raoul Peck (“Murder in Pacot”) and narrated by Samuel L.
Jackson. To craft the film, Peck was entrusted with the author’s notes and
unfinished, 30-page manuscript by the Baldwin estate. The book would have
looked at the lives and assassinations of three of Baldwin’s friends, the
civil rights icons Medgar Evers, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. The
film will get a theatrical release.

Baldwin wrote eloquently about racial issues and gay rights, and earned his
place in American letters with such novels as “Giovanni’s Room” and “Go
Tell It on the Mountain,” and the essays “Notes on a Native Son” and “The
Fire Next Time.”

“James Baldwin has clearly become intellectually and politically
unsurpassable – in fact, a visionary,” Peck said in a statement.
“Ironically and tragically, he is becoming more so by the day. It is truly
a pleasure to partner with such a great team to re-introduce James Baldwin
to the American audience.”

For original article, see http://variety.com/2016/film/
markets-festivals/magnolia-james-baldwin-1201861510/

Photo above from https://pen.org/our-man-jimmy-amiri-baraka-james-baldwin
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* |
September 16, 2016 at 9:20 am | Tags: Haitian director
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=haitian-director>, Haitian filmmakers
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=haitian-filmmakers>, I Am Not Your Negro
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=i-am-not-your-negro>, James Baldwin
<http://repeatingislands.com/?tag=james-baldwin>, Raoul Peck