[Blackstudies-l] Rise Up Benefit Concert for BLACK, WomenElect & ROCiziten

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Tue Apr 11 23:44:45 EDT 2017

>> *Activism Concert Urges Us to ‘Rise Up’*
>>

>> Danielle Ponder & the Tomorrow People will headline the “Rise Up!” music,
>> art and activism festival on Saturday, April 15, at Anthology, 336 East
>> Avenue. The concert, which benefits local progressive politics and social
>> causes, runs from 5 p.m. to midnight.
>>

>> A sequel to last year’s “Bernin’ Down the German House
>> <http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2016/02/20/bernie-sanders-supporters-rally-rochester-concert/80668314/>,”
>> which drew 1,000 attendees and raised over $15,000 for the Bernie Sanders
>> campaign, the Rise Up! Festival will benefit local organizations ROCitizen,
>> B.L.A.C.K., and Women Elect.
>>

>> “Last year, we added our voices to a national movement that put the
>> establishment on notice,” said Mary Lupien, festival co-organizer and a
>> candidate for Rochester City Council. “This year, we want to support groups
>> that are working, every day, for social justice in our community and for
>> progressive politics at the local level.”
>>

>> Danielle Ponder & the Tomorrow People <https://daniellepondermusic.com/>,
>> the three-time winners of the ROC Awards <http://www.rocawards.com/>
>> “Best Local Band,” performed at the 2016 Xerox Rochester International Jazz
>> Festival and have toured throughout the United States and Europe. Ponder,
>> who works as a Monroe County public defender
>> <http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2017/02/03/danielle-ponder-lawyer-monroe-county-public-defender-tomorrow-people-injustice/97261296/>
>> and is a Rochester native, was eager to support the Rise Up! festival.
>>

>> “I am excited to be a part of an event that raises money for
>> organizations who are doing important work in Rochester,” she said. “Art
>> has always accompanied social movements in Rochester and in the world - I’m
>> excited that Rise Up has allowed me to be a part of this movement.”
>>

>> ROCitizen <http://www.rocitizen.org/> is a grassroots organization that
>> grew out of the Bernie Sanders campaign that is committed to building a
>> community where people come first. The organization supports candidates who
>> share a vision of a more equitable Rochester and works to strengthen
>> awareness for policies and programs. ROCitizen is a chapter of Our
>> Revolution and the NY Progressive Action Network (NYPAN).
>>

>> B.L.A.C.K. <http://blacklife585.com/>, which stands for Building
>> Leadership And Community Knowledge, is a grassroots collective created to
>> empower the Black community through education, awareness, leadership
>> development, cooperative economics, social media, and tactful action in an
>> effort to combat the many disparities caused by institutional racism.
>>

>> WomenElect <http://womenelect.org/> is a leadership development program
>> for women that provides the tools and knowledge to run for office. Their
>> nonpartisan political action committee, WePAC, also supports and funds
>> candidates supportive of women’s issues.

> [...]

ALL Subscribers may post an event announcement to this list
by sending their text-only message (no attachments) to:

ANNOUNCE at lists.riseup.net

If you wish to unsubscribe, please send a message to:

The message MUST BE sent from the subscription address.

Encourage your friends to subscribe! Sent a blank email message to:
announce-subscribe at lists.riseup.net

You will find some of the list's rules & guidelines described here:
http://www.rochesteralliance.org/index_files/ROCHESTER_Lists_Details.htm

Questions about this list may be directed to ModeratorANNOUNCE@
RochesterAlliance.org

You can also post your events and see upcoming events at:

See events at http://peaceworksrochester.org/calendar.html
Post your events at http://www.peaceworksrochester.org/submitcalreq.php