[Blackstudies-l] New Book: “To Sweeten Bitter”

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Apr 13 08:50:44 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: " Our warmest congratulations to Raymond Antrobus,
whose third chapbook of poems, To Sweeten Bitter, was just published
(Out-Spoken Press, 10 April 2017). R.A. Villanueva writes: ‘Consider the
name of Raymond Antrobus’ extraordinary collection of poems f"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> New Book: “To
Sweeten Bitter”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/04/12/new-book-to-sweeten-bitter/> by

*[image: bitter]*

*Our warmest congratulations to Raymond Antrobus, whose third chapbook of
poems, To Sweeten Bitter, was just published (Out-Spoken Press, 10 April
2017).*

*R.A. Villanueva writes:* ‘Consider the name of Raymond Antrobus’
extraordinary collection of poems for a moment: *To Sweeten Bitter*. It’s a
phrase of infinite possibility and tender worry, open and searching,
wanting and volatile. And in this sense, it serves as a kind of secret
refrain for us, a haunted current that charges after each line and image,
each heart-fraught question (“you think you’re going / to go free?”) and
tentative hope (“there is always enough time / in our lives to see / what
we must see”). Here, a father laughs “you cannot love sugar and hate your
sweetness” and a son reckons with all that might mean “in the scratched
light” of history and the “turning / and the losing of myself.” Derek
Walcott once reflected that “I have never separated the writing of poetry
from prayer;” these poems— in all their urgent beauty—affirm that faith,
embody it.’

*Raymond Antrobus* is a British-Jamaican poet, performer and educator, born
and bred in East London, Hackney. He is one of the world's first recipients
of an MA in Spoken Word education from Goldsmiths University.  His poems
have been published in magazines and literary journals such as *POETRY*
magazine (US), *Poetry Review*, *The Rialto*, *Magma Poetry*, Oxford
Diaspora's Programme, *British Council Literature*, *Shooter Literary
Journal*, *The Missing Slate*, *Morning Star*, *Media Diversified*, *The
Deaf Poet's Society* and forthcoming in *Wasafiri*, University Of Arkansas
Press, and Bloodaxe, *Ten Anthology*. [Excerpt from
http://www.raymondantrobus.com/bio/]

Source of  book review: http://www.outspokenldn.com/shop/tsb

Also see https://www.amazon.com/Sweeten-Bitter-Raymond-
Antrobus/dp/0993103871

*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | April
12, 2017 at 11:51 pm | Tags: British-Jamaican poets
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/british-jamaican-poets/>, Jamaica
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/jamaica/>, poetry
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/poetry/>, Raymond Antrobus
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/raymond-antrobus/>, To Sweeten Bitter