[Blackstudies-l] CALL: 5TH GHETTO BIENNALE 2017—A CARTOGRAPHY OF PORT-AU-PRINCE

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Tue Apr 18 17:25:57 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: " Many thanks to Leah Gordon for sharing this call for
the 5th Ghetto Biennale 2017: A Cartography of Port-au-Prince, which takes
place from the November 24 until December 18, 2017. Artists and curators
are invited to submit proposals (all works must be m"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> CALL: 5TH GHETTO
BIENNALE 2017—A CARTOGRAPHY OF PORT-AU-PRINCE
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/04/18/call-5th-ghetto-biennale-2017-a-cartography-of-port-au-prince/>

*[image: ghetto]*

*Many thanks to Leah Gordon for sharing this call for the 5th Ghetto
Biennale 2017: **A Cartography of Port-au-Prince**, **which takes place
from the November 24 until December 18, 2017. Artists and curators are
invited to submit proposals (all works must be made and exhibited in
Haiti). **The deadline for submission of proposals is July 2, 2017, by
midnight.*

*Description and Guidelines:* The polyphonic city of Port-au-Prince has a
rich history of cultural production. While its infrastructure is deeply
compromised, and the gap between the rich and the poor immense, this
chaotic and resolute city is provocative and engaging.

The 5th Ghetto Biennale 2017 is looking for projects that map, in the
broadest use of the word, the city’s many diverse centers of cultural
production, street life, religious heritage, mythologies, histories, varied
architectural presences and much more; to create a compelling portrait of a
historically significant, and intensely complex, city in flux.

"A Cartography of Port-au-Prince" will use the city as a lens through which
to view the chaotic intersections of history, music, politics, religion,
magic, architecture, art and literature; to enable to the viewer to reflect
upon the past and speculate about the future of this uncommon city and its
country.

The 5th Ghetto Biennale 2017 will take place from the 24th November until
the 18th December 2017. All works must be made and exhibited in Haiti.
Artists and curators will be invited to pass, no less than one and up to
three weeks in Haiti before presenting their work in the neighbourhood to
an audience of local people, Port au Prince neighbourhood communities, arts
collectives and arts organisations.

The deadline for proposal applications is midnight Sunday 2nd July BST and
our decisions will be made and announced by the end of the third week in
July.

Applicants for the 5th Ghetto Biennale 2017 must provide a written synopsis
of their project proposal covering conceptual background, methodology, and
a production and exhibition strategy for the proposed new work in no more
than 500 words and on no more than two sides of A4 including illustrations
and a one page CV; all formatted as pdfs. We will not accept any proposal
longer than two sides, no attached images and neither will we accept
website links as a proposal component.

Please keep in mind that we are looking for works that will be created
during the three-week period in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. We are not looking
for work that is already created. We welcome projects that may require
collaboration with local artists and would be able to help connect artists
beforehand.

There is no funding for this event and you will be expected to cover the
cost of your flight, accommodation and materials. We will supply a reading
list, there is a film about the Grand Rue sculptors on-line and we will be
more than happy to help (via email) with any research and information
needed, both before your application and leading up to the event. Advice
can also be given about the practicalities for the production of specific
projects and budgeting for the trip. If your work involves intensive
interviews we will advise you to budget for your own translator. Artists
should be aware that Haiti has only a 50% literacy rate and text heavy
projects could be problematic for the local audience. We can help organise
all hotel bookings, airport pick-ups and internal transport.

The Ghetto Biennale site remains a lens-free zone for none-Haitian artists
but there will be a photographer on site to document the projects at the
end of the event for anyone needing images for documentation. But we are
relaxing the lens-ban to accept film and photographic project proposals for
works made in other areas of the city.

[Thank you to our volunteer translators Patricia Verdial (Español), Maccha
Kasparian (Français), Yuk Yee Phang (官话), Anya Dorofeeva (русский),
Priscilla Mountford (Português), Laurie Richardson (Kreyòl) and more.]

‘The Sculptors of Grand Rue' can be viewed at http://vimeo.com/14681755

Find more information about Atis-Rezistans visit www.atis-rezistans.com

Check out the project archives of the previous Ghetto Biennales
www.ghettobiennale.org

Enquiries, applications & questions contact: Leah Gordon at
Leahgordon at aol.com

*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | April
18, 2017 at 3:08 pm | Tags: 5th Ghetto Biennale
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/5th-ghetto-biennale/>, art festivals
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/art-festivals/>, Ghetto Biennale 2017
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/ghetto-biennale-2017/>, Haiti
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/haiti/>, Leah Gordon