[Blackstudies-l] Fall event and invitation for Africana/ Black Studies students

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Sun Apr 23 13:10:19 EDT 2017

Dear Africana Studies minor and Black Studies major students,

The Black Studies program and History Department are very excited to host University of Michigan historian Heather Ann Thompson for a lecture on September 13, 7pm in Newton 202. Thompson’s new book, Blood in the Water: The Attica Uprising of 1971, has been awarded both Pulitzer and Bancroft prizes, and received considerable positive attention. Her talk is part of the Organization of American Historians Distinguished lecture series and is titled, “Why Mass Incarceration Matters.” Here’s a clip of her in relation to being a finalist for the National Book Award.

http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2016finalist_nf_thompson_blood-in-the-water.html#.WPzPV1PyvOQ <http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2016finalist_nf_thompson_blood-in-the-water.html#.WPzPV1PyvOQ>

On Sept. 13 during the college hour, 2:30-3:45, Thompson will discuss Blood in the Water with interested students. It is a long book, but very engaging and readable.

The Black Studies and History Department are willing to purchase books for a select number of students. In exchange for a free book, we ask that you commit to reading it and participating in the discussion. Ideally, you will also attend the lecture (and bring friends).

If you are interested, let me know, as soon as possible, and definitely by Tuesday, April 25. Let me know if you have questions.

Meanwhile, I hope everyone is enjoying this lovely weather.
Best wishes,

Professor of History
Coordinator of Black Studies
crosby at geneseo.edu