[Blackstudies-l] Fall '17 Black Studies courses

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Mon Aug 7 07:02:54 EDT 2017

Dear Black Studies Community,

With open registration beginning, I wanted to be sure that everyone is aware of our Black Studies courses for Fall 2017. I’m attaching the list of approved courses.

I’d also like to draw your attention to our Black Studies slot course, taught in the Fall by Prof. Okada on Black Cinema: History and Representation, which is a 4 credit class including a lab.
	Course Description:  Black Cinema: History and Representation.  Course description: This course examines the history of Black Cinema in the United States, beginning with the silent films of Oscar Micheaux to the recent Academy award contender Moonlight (Barry Jenkins 2016).  While our emphasis will be on films produced and directed by African Americans, we will also consider the relationship between Black filmmakers, performers, and spectators and the Hollywood film industry. Topics to be covered include economic strategies (independent vs. “mainstream” approaches), the politics of representation and self representation in film and other forms of media, the relationship between Black Cinema and other forms of Black culture/art, and filmmaking as political practice.

I would also like to draw your attention a new section of Hist284 on African Nationalism that has been added since Spring registration-- Hist284: S/M/ LACAANA History: African Nationalism MW 1-2:15 STURGS 108 Lewis, Amanda.

	Course Description: The process of decolonization in Africa was one of the most important historical transformations of the twentieth century, but the nationalist sentiments behind the long roads to freedom shaped each new country. In this course, we will study the history of what nationalism meant for Africans beginning during the two World Wars and ending with the struggle of late twentieth-century African nations to govern diverse populations. The scope of the course will include the influence of Pan-Africanism, key African philosophers and political leaders, the Cold War, and the struggles to change the social and economic inequalities in Africa. We will explore the different facets of nationalism, the implications for international relations, and the development of national and cultural identities of modern Africa.

Prof. Lewis is also teaching two sections of a course on Environment and History, Hist112, that will have a global approach and include case studies from Africa. It is likely be of interest to Black Studies majors and Africana Studies minors, and those generally interested in human rights issues.

The full list of Fall courses is attached.

Please spread the word about these classes. Students with questions about registration, the minor, or major should contact me. Crosby at geneseo.edu.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Professor of History
Coordinator of Black Studies