[Blackstudies-l] Look out, hobbits: Marlon James . . .

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Wed Jan 11 09:38:59 EST 2017

ivetteromero posted: " Michael Schaub (Los Angeles Times) writes “Look out,
hobbits: Marlon James is working on an epic fantasy trilogy.” Here are
excerpts: Marlon James, who won the Man Booker Prize for his novel “A Brief
History of Seven Killings” and is one of The Times’ "
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Look out, hobbits:
Marlon James . . .
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/01/11/look-out-hobbits-marlon-james/> by

[image: marlon-la-ckellogg-1484068635-snap-photo]

<http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-marlon-james-trilogy-20170110-story.html>:
Marlon James is working on an epic fantasy trilogy.” Here are excerpts:*

Marlon James, who won the Man Booker Prize for his novel “A Brief History
of Seven Killings” and is one of The Times’ critics at large, is working on
an epic fantasy trilogy in the mode of J.R.R. Tolkien.

James was inspired to write the trilogy years ago, after learning that the
cast of the "Lord of the Rings" movies would be predominantly white.

"It made me realize that there was this huge universe of African history
and mythology and crazy stories, these fantastic beasts and soon, that was
just waiting there," he told
<http://ew.com/books/2017/01/10/marlon-james-dark-star-fantasy-trilogy/>
*Entertainment
Weekly*. "And I’m a big sci-fi geek — I love my ‘Lord of the Rings,’ I love
my Angela Carter and my ‘Dragonslayer.’”

Riverhead Books will publish "The Dark Star Trilogy," composed of the books
"Black Leopard, Red Wolf," "Moon Witch, Night Devil" and "The Boy and the
Dark Star." James said he's hoping to finish the first installment soon so
it can be published in the fall of 2018.

[. . .] He revealed the storyline of the first novel, saying, "The very,
very basic plot is this slave trader hires a bunch of mercenaries to track
down a kid who may have been kidnapped. But finding him takes nine years,
and at the end of it, the kid is dead. And the whole novel is trying to
figure out, 'How did this happen?'" [. . .]

For full article, see http://www.latimes.com/books/
jacketcopy/la-et-jc-marlon-james-trilogy-20170110-story.html
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | January
11, 2017 at 12:19 am | Tags: Jamaica
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/jamaica/>, Jamaican writers
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/jamaican-writers/>, Marlon James