[Blackstudies-l] Poet Jean “Binta” Breeze Receives Honorary Degree from University of Leicester

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Tue Jan 24 12:57:59 EST 2017

ivetteromero posted: " The Jamaica Gleaner reports that Jamaican poet Jean
“Binta” Breeze received an honorary Doctor of Letters from England’s
University of Leicester at a ceremony last Thursday, January 19, 2017. As
the University of Leicester writes, “She was appointed an "
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Poet Jean “Binta” Breeze
Receives Honorary Degree from University of Leicester
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/01/24/poet-jean-binta-breeze-receives-honorary-degree-from-university-of-leicester/>

*[image: bintabreeze]*

*The Jamaica Gleaner reports that Jamaican poet Jean “Binta” Breeze
received an honorary Doctor of Letters from England’s University of
Leicester at a ceremony last Thursday, January 19, 2017. As the University
of Leicester
<http://www2.le.ac.uk/news/blog/2017-archive/january/distinguished-literary-figures-from-leicester-to-be-honoured>
writes, “She was appointed an honorary Creative Writing Fellow in 2011 and
has appeared at events the University regularly. She is the author of eight
books of poems and stories and has been described as a ‘one-woman
festival’. Born in Jamaica, she now lives in County Durham.” Here are
excerpts from The Gleaner
<http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/20170124/jean-breeze-doctor-letters-poet-receives-honorary-degree-university>:*

In her acceptance speech for a Doctorate of Letters (D Litt) from the
University of Leicester last Thursday, poet Jean 'Binta' Breeze connected
the ceremony with a long history of performance. "I just had to say it has
been a lifetime of entering and exiting stages, but entering this stage in
the robes and the hat was overwhelming," Breeze told *The Gleaner*.

The woman whose books include *Third World Girl* (2011), *Song Lines* (1997)
and *Riddym Ravings and Other Poems *(1988), with the 1987 *Riddym Ravings* an
early album, was accompanied at the ceremony by her son Gareth (a standout
cricketer) and daughter Caribe.

She described Leicester in England's East Midlands as somewhere which
"became my second home, after Sandy Bay (in Hanover, Jamaica)".

Words brought Breeze to Leicester. "I had just got a fellowship to write my
first novel. [. . .] I wanted somewhere quiet to go and one of my friends
said come to Leicester," she said, [. . .] "and I stayed and did another
three or four books."

Breeze described Leicester as "49 per cent white and 51 per cent ethnic
minorities. It is really mixed."

The University of Leicester's website says Breeze "... was appointed an
honorary Creative Writing Fellow in 2011 and has appeared at events the
University regularly." Breeze, who previously received an MBE (Member of
the Order of the British Empire), said in Leicester "I was very much a part
of the community." [. . .]

See full article at http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/
20170124/jean-breeze-doctor-letters-poet-receives-honorary-degree-university

Also see http://www2.le.ac.uk/news/blog/2017-archive/january/
distinguished-literary-figures-from-leicester-to-be-honoured
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | January
24, 2017 at 12:16 pm | Tags: Caribbean women writers
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/caribbean-women-writers/>, Jamaica
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/jamaica/>, Jamaican writers
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/jamaican-writers/>, Jean "Binta" Breeze
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/jean-binta-breeze/>, University of