[Blackstudies-l] War memorial to African-Caribbean soldiers unveiled in London

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Jul 1 23:15:16 EDT 2017

lisaparavisini posted: " A memorial to the African and Caribbean soldiers
of World War one and World War Two has been unveiled in London, the BBC
reports. An estimated two million African-Caribbean soldiers fought in both
world wars. The sculpture, in Windrush Square, Brixton"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> War memorial to
African-Caribbean soldiers unveiled in London
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/06/30/war-memorial-to-african-caribbean-soldiers-unveiled-in-london/>

[image: war-memorial-560x371.jpg]

A memorial to the African and Caribbean soldiers of World War one and World
War Two has been unveiled in London, the BBC reports.

An estimated two million African-Caribbean soldiers fought in both world
wars.

The sculpture, in Windrush Square, Brixton, is formed of two 6ft (1.8m)
long obelisks, with a combined weight of just under five tonnes.

Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon said the “recognition today is long
overdue”.

He added: “I hope this memorial will remind us of the ongoing contribution
of our African and Caribbean communities to our country and to the defence
of our country.”

Allan Willmott, who served in the Royal Navy in WWII, said he did not dream
he would be around to see anything like this happen.

“Nothing was done to make the contribution made by the African and West
Indian service men known,” the 92-year-old said.

Countries across the Caribbean and Africa were profoundly affected during
the world wars, sending manpower, materials, and funds to aid the war
effort.

More than 165,000 troops from the African continent alone died during the
conflicts.

The memorial, believed to the first in Britain to honour African and
Caribbean soldiers from both world wars, had been on display at the Black
Cultural Archives in Brixton in 2014.
June 30, 2017 at 7:01 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/news/> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-vYX

Comment
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/06/30/war-memorial-to-african-caribbean-soldiers-unveiled-in-london/#respond>
   See all comments