[Blackstudies-l] Symposium—“Blues Writing: Jean-Claude Charles and Modern Caribbean Literature”

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Tue Jul 4 10:00:37 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: " [Many thanks to Peter Jordens for bringing this item
to our attention.] Florida State University’s Winthrop-King Institute for
Contemporary French and Francophone Studies presents “Blues Writing:
Jean-Claude Charles and Modern Caribbean Literature.” Thi"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Symposium—“Blues
Writing: Jean-Claude Charles and Modern Caribbean Literature”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/07/03/symposium-blues-writing-jean-claude-charles-and-modern-caribbean-literature/>

*[image: CHARLES_(c)_LR-1]*

*[Many thanks to Peter Jordens for bringing this item to our attention.]
Florida State University’s Winthrop-King Institute for Contemporary French
and Francophone Studies presents “Blues Writing: Jean-Claude Charles and
Modern Caribbean Literature.” This symposium will take place during March
22-24, 2018, at Florida State University, Miami, Florida. Speakers will
include Louis-Philippe Dalembert, Edwidge Danticat, Michaël Ferrier,
Fabienne Kanor, Dany Laferrière, Yanick Lahens, Alain Mabanckou, James
Noël, and Makenzy Orcel. Attendees must indicate their interest by July 15,
2017, at http://www.icffs.fsu.edu/JeanClaudeCharles/
<http://www.icffs.fsu.edu/JeanClaudeCharles/>.*

artists, and scholars in a celebration of the work of one of Haiti’s most
talented and yet least read or understood writers. Through an innovative
combination of workshops, performances, and readings we will assess the
legacies of this singular figure in Caribbean writing. It is our conviction
that the novels, poetry, and essays of Jean-Claude Charles are of primary
importance to any understanding of modern Caribbean literature.

Born in 1949 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Jean-Claude Charles left his country
at the age of 21, first for Mexico, then the United States, Chicago and New
York, where began what he termed his “enracinerrance,” his life as a
“nomade aux pieds poudrés” and a “nègre errant.” He then lived in France,
where he studied, and worked as a journalist for publications including *Le
Monde*. A poet, novelist, screenwriter, director, and radio producer, he
described himself as an “homme de nulle part,” a man from nowhere.

Since 2015, the Winthrop-King Institute has been collaborating with Rodney
Saint-Éloi and Mémoire d’encrier in the republication of Jean-Claude
Charles’ entire oeuvre.

We are not issuing a conventional call for papers, and are looking to build
a program of interactive activities between the authors and attendees,
including students, scholars, and readers, with the aim of creating new
synergies and imagining new forms, actions, and collaborative ways of
working. In this regard, we aim to incorporate non-literary forms, such as
dance, painting, theatre, music, and digital formats. The major themes and
discussion points will be announced in due course, and participants will be
invited to prepare short interventions around these themes. If you are
interested in attending the event please indicate so by 15 July 2017 at the
following address: http://www.icffs.fsu.edu/JeanClaudeCharles/

For more information, see http://www.winthropking.fsu.
edu/event/JC-Charles-event
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | July 3,
2017 at 2:48 pm | Tags: Blues Writing: Jean-Claude Charles and Modern
Caribbean Literature
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/blues-writing-jean-claude-charles-and-modern-caribbean-literature/>,
Caribbean conferences
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/caribbean-conferences/>, conferences
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/conferences/>, Florida State University
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/florida-state-university/>, Haiti
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/haiti/>, Jean-Claude Charles
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/jean-claude-charles/>, Winthrop-King
Institute for Contemporary French and Francophone Studies
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/winthrop-king-institute-for-contemporary-french-and-francophone-studies/>
| Categories: Caribbean Culture
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/caribbean-culture/>, Literature
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/literature/>, Music