[Blackstudies-l] New Issue: Caribbean Beat #146

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Jul 6 11:32:16 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: " The July/August issue of Caribbean Beat (#146) is
here. The editors recently announced that this is part of the 25th
anniversary celebrations of the magazine. This issue’s cover displays the
multi-talented Trinidadian musician and composer Etienne Charl"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> New Issue: Caribbean
Beat #146
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/07/06/new-issue-caribbean-beat-146/> by

*[image: Trinidadian jazz musician and composer Etienne Charles. Photo by
Maria Nunes]*

*The July/August issue of Caribbean Beat
<http://meppublishers.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=953ac471999877b701514f443&id=9ec194c82f&e=a03625a1c1>
(#146) is here. The editors recently announced that this is part of
the 25th anniversary celebrations of the magazine. This issue’s cover
displays the multi-talented Trinidadian musician and composer Etienne
Charles. In “Etienne Charles: a head for jazz and a creole soul,” Nigel
Campbell traces the musician’s professional trajectory—a fascinating read.
I highly recommend it; see excerpts below, and read the full article at
Caribbean Beat
<http://caribbean-beat.com/issue-146/head-for-jazz-creole-soul?mc_cid=cf6d00889f&mc_eid=a03625a1c1#axzz4m3Zm8J4T>:*

>From his jaunty fedora to his bespoke suits, Trinidadian Etienne Charles
looks like a jazzman — and he has the musical chops to back it up. A
phenomenal talent with the trumpet, he’s also earned a reputation as a
composer with a gift for merging traditional Caribbean genres with jazz [.
. .].

[. . .].Currently, Charles serves as associate professor of jazz trumpet at
highly ranked Michigan State University (MSU), where he just completed his
eighth year, and where he was awarded tenure in 2016. “I’ve definitely
taken to academia,” he says, “and teaching is one of the most crucial
professions in our society, with respect to inspiring as well as leading
students through their exploration of idioms, styles, and techniques. It’s
also something I find great joy in doing.” Charles is obviously well
respected at MSU — he was awarded the 2016 Teacher-Student Award, which
recognises some of the best teachers at the university. In the words of
James Forger, dean of the College of Music, Charles is “one of the
brightest minds in jazz performance and artistic creativity today.”

Read the original article here: Etienne Charles: a head for jazz and a
creole soul | Closeup - Caribbean Beat Magazine - Caribbean Beat Magazine
<http://caribbean-beat.com/issue-146/head-for-jazz-creole-soul#ixzz4m3Zn2GJ3>
 http://caribbean-beat.com/issue-146/head-for-jazz-creole-soul#ixzz4m3Zn2GJ3

Follow *Caribbean Beat
<http://meppublishers.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=953ac471999877b701514f443&id=9ec194c82f&e=a03625a1c1>*