[Blackstudies-l] Afro-Latino Festival of New York to Return This Weekend with Tribute to Women of the Diaspora

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Fri Jul 7 01:35:18 EDT 2017

lisaparavisini posted: " The Afro-Latino Festival of New York returns for
its 5th edition on the weekend of July 7 and 8, 2017, with a Tribute to
Women of the Diaspora. This year's Festival will take place over two
exciting days and nights, featuring more than 30 performing art"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> Afro-Latino Festival
of New York to Return This Weekend with Tribute to Women of the Diaspora
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/07/06/afro-latino-festival-of-new-york-to-return-this-weekend-with-tribute-to-women-of-the-diaspora/>

The Afro-Latino Festival of New York returns for its 5th edition on the
weekend of July 7 and 8, 2017, with a Tribute to Women of the Diaspora.
This year's Festival will take place over two exciting days and nights,
featuring more than 30 performing artists, panelists, professionals,
activists and creators at various locations throughout NYC!

The Festival begins on Friday July 7 with our Afrolatin Talks Symposium.
For the second consecutive year, the world famous Schomburg Center for
Research in Black Culture, located in Harlem, will host and sponsor the
Afrolatin Talks. Co-curators of the Talks include Ariana Curtis of the
Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
(NMAAHC) and Natalia Linares of the New Economy Coalition. Day 1 will also
include the introduction of our newest feature, theLiberación Film
Festival, with documentaries from Curacao, Brazil, Haiti and the Dominican
Republic.

On Friday evening at Powerhouse Arena in DUMBO, Brooklyn, the Festival
honors Susana Baca, the ex-Minister of Culture for Peru. The night begins
with a reception and awards ceremony for Minister Baca and for other
recipients including writers Shirley Campbell Barr and Elizabeth Acevedo,
social activist Zahira Kelly, educator Nadia Lopez
<http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/Nadia-Lopez/>, founder of AfroCrowd
Alice Backer and former Miss Universe Panama, Gloria Karamanites. Minister
Baca will present her book, The African in Peru, and talk about her career
as a musician, politician, and defender of Afrodescendant human rights.

Day 2 of the Festival, Saturday July 8, will be our outdoor concert. For
the third consecutive year Bed-Stuy Restoration Plaza located in Brooklyn,
will be our host and sponsoring organization. Expect performances by Latin
Grammy winner Milly Quezada, the Queen of Merengue; Alison Hinds, the Queen
of Soca; Johnny Osbourne, the Godfather of Dancehall; Amara La Negra; Calma
Carmona; Zuzuka Poderosa and more. The day will also feature culinary
presentations by Food Network's CHOPPED winnerSantana Caress Benitez, plus
art installations presented by the multi-faceted artist Zahira Kelly, who
will co-host the day alongside DJ Big Nito.

We are pleased to once again be working with community organizations and
partners including the Schomburg Center, Bed-Stuy Restoration Plaza, SaChin
Productions, New Visual Collective, the Caribbean Cultural Center & African
Diaspora Institute, Afrolatino Travel, conrazón, The Center for Popular
Economics and New Economy Coalition. We are also joined this year by
Project Achieve of the New York Blood Center, the Afrolatinamerican
Research Institute at Harvard, Viacom employee diversity organizations,
Somos and The Beat, NACLA, First Data and Ford Motor Company, who will
donate $10 to the Festival for each person who test drives one of the 6 new
vehicles they will be showcasing at the Festival on Saturday. The Festival
will once again take NYC by storm to AFFIRM, EDUCATE and CELEBRATE
Afrolatino cultures.

The Afrolatino Festival NYC celebrates the contributions of Afrolatinos
through networking, cultural exchange, artistic showcases, culinary
presentations, and education. It serves as an important platform for
organizations working within Afrolatino communities to raise social
awareness and highlight their work. Our mission is to provide a positive
public space to pay tribute to the African roots of people from Latin
America and the Caribbean. We continue to commemorate the International
Decade for People of African Descent declared by the U.N (2015-2024) and
its principles of "justice", "recognition" and "development".

For the full lineup, more event information and tickets, go to
www.afrolatinofestnyc.com.

July 6, 2017 at 3:23 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/news/> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-w6C

Comment
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/07/06/afro-latino-festival-of-new-york-to-return-this-weekend-with-tribute-to-women-of-the-diaspora/#respond>
   See all comments