[Blackstudies-l] Call for Papers: “Transition Magazine” on Afro-Latin America

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Fri Jul 14 14:04:52 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: "A call for submissions—including essays, creative
writing, and visual arts—has been posted for a special issue of Transition
(Winter 2018). Description: The last two decades have witnessed the
expansion and increased visibility of Afro-Latin American soc"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Call for Papers:
“Transition Magazine” on Afro-Latin America
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/07/14/call-for-papers-transition-magazine-on-afro-latin-america/>

*[image: lesombremalenbo_43.06mcp_0018]A call for submissions—including
essays, creative writing, and visual arts—has been posted for a special
issue of Transition (Winter 2018).*

*Description*: The last two decades have witnessed the expansion and
increased visibility of Afro-Latin American social movements within Latin
America, the Caribbean, the United States, Europe, and beyond. For the
first time, a special issue of *Transition* (Winter 2018) will be
completely dedicated to Afro-Latin America. The issue focuses on recent and
contemporary sociopolitical, economic and cultural struggles for
visibility, empowerment, and justice.

Our goal is to generate a continuous south-to-north dialogue that
represents the diverse ideas, voices, achievements, and challenges of
Afro-Latin American communities everywhere. We invite Afro-descendant
writers, artists, and academics, or anyone who explores themes about
Afro-Latin American life in their work to participate. We will consider
creative writing as well as critical or journalistic essays in Spanish,
Portuguese and/or English.

*Creative Writing*: (Ex., short stories, poetry, plays etc.) that examine
topics related to the experiences, histories and challenges of the
Afro-Latin American world and its relations with the diaspora in general.
We expect creative pieces of high narrative prose that are rich in
description and attentive to rhetorical devices.
*Essays:* We will also consider critical or journalistic essays that
discuss current issues related to Afro-Latin American populations. For
example, social and cultural movements, activism, marginalization and
racism.
*Visual Art*: We also wish to publish original art (Ex., painting,
photography, sculpture, installations, theater etc.) that is thoughtful and
provocative, and that explores political, cultural, historical or spiritual
issues about Afro-Latin America.

** There is no guarantee of publication even after making revisions. Final
decisions are made by our editorial board.

For any inquiries please contact Laura Correa Ochoa, editor of this issue,
at lcorreaochoa01 at g.harvard.edu.

Source: https://transition.submittable.com/submit/89663/
call-for-papers-afro-latin-america

[Artwork above: Wifredo Lam’s “The Sombre Malembo,” 1943; private
collection: The Rudman Trust. Source: http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-
on/tate-modern/exhibition/wifredo-lam]

*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | July
14, 2017 at 1:55 pm | Tags: African American History
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/african-american-history/>, Afro-Latin
America <http://repeatingislands.com/tag/afro-latin-america/>, Colonial and
Post-Colonial History
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/colonial-and-post-colonial-history/>, Latin