[Blackstudies-l] Intellectuals denounce the Dominican government’s racist and anti-Haitian campaign

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Tue Jul 25 11:30:20 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: " Professionals and intellectuals from the Dominican
Republic and its Diaspora as well as national and international
institutions signed a document rejecting what they have described as a
racist and anti-Haitian campaign. The letter was published in sever"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Intellectuals denounce
the Dominican government’s racist and anti-Haitian campaign
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/07/24/intellectuals-denounce-the-dominican-governments-racist-and-anti-haitian-campaign/>

*[image: Cientos de haitianos cañeros e indocumentados esperan ser atendi]*

*Professionals and intellectuals from the Dominican Republic and its
Diaspora as well as national and international institutions signed a
document rejecting what they have described as a racist and anti-Haitian
campaign. The letter was published in several media outlets (including
Acento.com
<http://acento.com.do/2017/actualidad/8476671-intelectuales-firman-documento-rechazo-campana-racista-antihaitiana/>)
and social networks.*

The letter says, "We, the undersigned, express our rejection of the new
racist and anti-immigrant campaign in the Dominican Republic that is being
spread through the conservative press and social networks and driven by
sectors of the traditional political class and business sector.”

The document also notes that this "racist propaganda" alleges that there is
a massive "Haitian invasion" coming across the border; however, "every time
a wave of hatred against said community is raised, it is to turn it into a
scapegoat, blaming it for the budget deficit or to cover up the
unprecedented indebtedness caused by the present government."

The letter ends by saying, “We express our solidarity with the Dominican
people in struggle for a better country and with immigrants of Haitian
origin and their descendants. Finally, we call on all social organizations,
intellectuals, unions, feminist and student groups to denounce the
systematic use of anti-Haitian campaigns to divide the Dominican people.”

For the original letter (in Spanish), see http://acento.com.do/2017/
actualidad/8476671-intelectuales-firman-documento-rechazo-campana-
racista-antihaitiana/
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | July
24, 2017 at 2:27 pm | Tags: anti-Haitian discrimination
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/anti-haitian-discrimination/>, Dominican
Republic <http://repeatingislands.com/tag/dominican-republic/>,
Haitian-Dominican
relations <http://repeatingislands.com/tag/haitian-dominican-relations/>,