[Blackstudies-l] Ethiopia to Give ID Cards to Rastafarians Long Stateless

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Fri Jul 28 09:58:49 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: " Elias Meseret (Associated Press) announced that
Ethiopia will issue national identity cards for the nearly 1,000
Rastafarians who long have been seen as stateless in the East African
nation, the government announced today. The decision means they can e"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Ethiopia to Give ID
Cards to Rastafarians Long Stateless
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/07/27/ethiopia-to-give-id-cards-to-rastafarians-long-stateless/>

*[image: ethiopian-flag-flags]*

*Elias Meseret
<http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/ethiopia-give-id-cards-rastafarians-long-stateless-48885611>**
(Associated Press) announced that Ethiopia
<http://abcnews.go.com/topics/news/ethiopia.htm> will issue national
identity cards for the nearly 1,000 Rastafarians who long have been seen as
stateless in the East African nation, the government announced today.*

The decision means they can enter without visas and live without residence
permits. The move also affects Ethiopian Jews and foreign nationals who
have made positive contributions to the country.

"These individuals have long been unable to enter and leave the country
easily," Foreign Ministry spokesman Meles Alem told The Associated Press.
"In the case of Rastafarians, we have three generations of people residing
here that have blended well with our citizens. But sadly they were neither
Caribbean nor Ethiopians so were somehow stateless. This national ID will
address this problem."

Close to one thousand Rastafarians live in Ethiopia, especially in the
capital, Addis Ababa, and a southern town called Shashamane. Ethiopia's
last emperor, Haile Selassie, granted land for the Shashamane settlement
for black people who helped fight off Fascist Italian forces in the 1930s.

Rastafarianism, which began after the emperor came to power, has followers
who believe he is god.

"We are overjoyed," said Ras King, a prominent member of the Rastafarian
community who first came to Ethiopia in 1982. "We are extremely happy
because this has fulfilled our confidence in our forefathers' vision for a
united Africa and black people from the West. As usual, Ethiopia has led
the way and set the example for the rest of the continent in recognizing
the Rastafarian movement."

Ethiopian Jews, also known as Beta Israel
<http://abcnews.go.com/topics/news/israel.htm>, have a significant presence
both in Ethiopia and in Israel.

The foreign ministry said the thousands of people who will be issued the
new identity cards still cannot take part in elections or engage in the
country's security and defense sectors.

For full article, see http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/
ethiopia-give-id-cards-rastafarians-long-stateless-48885611
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | July
27, 2017 at 11:34 pm | Tags: Ethiopia
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/ethiopia/>, Rastafarians
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/rastafarians/> | Categories: News