[Blackstudies-l] How Afro-Nicaraguans Suffer through the ‘Taboo’ Subject of Racism

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Mon Jul 31 16:13:49 EDT 2017

lisaparavisini posted: " A report by Nadra Nittle for the Atlanta Black
Star. Blacks and indigenous peoples may make up small portions of
Nicaragua’s population, but both groups face structural and everyday racism
that limit their career opportunities and deprive them of human"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> How Afro-Nicaraguans
Suffer Through the ‘Taboo’ Subject of Racism
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/07/30/how-afro-nicaraguans-suffer-through-the-taboo-subject-of-racism/>

[image: afro-nica-600x400.jpg]

A report by Nadra Nittle for the *Atlanta Black Star*.
<http://atlantablackstar.com/2017/07/30/afro-nicaraguans-suffer-taboo-subject-racism/>

Blacks and indigenous peoples may make up small portions of Nicaragua’s
population, but both groups face structural and everyday racism that limit
their career opportunities and deprive them of human dignity. This is
according to Brown University Professor Juliet Hooker, a
Nicaraguan-American, who is raising awareness about the discrimination in
her homeland in her new book Theorizing Race in the Americas, whose premise
is that racism remains a taboo subject in Nicaragua
<http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=126373> because of the idea that everyone is
mestizo, or of European and indigenous heritage.

“They tell you that there’s no racism, that there’s no differentiated
treatment between one and another person,” Hooker recently told the Havana
Times. “That makes it difficult to hold a frank and honest talk about why,
if there’s no racism, those of the ‘elite’ are all the people who are
‘whitest.’ Is that a coincidence?”

According to the CIA World Factbook
<https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/nu.html>,
Nicaragua is 69 percent mestizo, 17 percent white, 9 percent Black and 5
percent Native American. While Blacks largely live on the Atlantic Coast,
they face a great deal of hostility, according to Hooker. The professor,
who identifies as Creole, or mixed race, grew up in the South Caribbean
portion of Nicaragua. She says that people in the rest of the country know
little about the Atlantic Coast and sometimes assume that Black Nicaraguans
must be foreigners. Hooker added that Blacks are barred entry from certain
spaces or schools and that she finds it discriminatory that Creoles can’t
use their language in the workplace or in schools.

“Even though the law says we can, the fact is that everything is in
Spanish,” she told the Havana Times. “The students are at a disadvantage
because they can’t use their mother tongue, and also it fuels the danger of
the language becoming lost.”

Hooker isn’t the only one concerned about racism in Nicaragua. In
September, a Californian who visited the country left a message on the Trip
Advisor website
<https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294477-i2982-k9870328-Nicaragua_most_unfriendly-Nicaragua.html>
cautioning
other would-be travelers to Nicaragua about discrimination.

“We have traveled to most of Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Guatemala,
to name a few, but our experience with Nicaraguans made us very wary on how
they treat those who are not whites,” the traveler wrote. “We found it
outrageous, and we think it is only fair that you are warned before you go
there. We personally saw people at the hotel (a big fat hotel in Granada)
be downright rude to a person of Asian descent and serve whites with a
smile and avoid the Asians, a Black family sit in a restaurant and get
bypassed by the owner who then went on to take orders from whites (this was
especially disgusting as we saw the father there with three young teens,
and they were not served at all and they finally just got up and left),
security at the airport only checking non-whites/giving them the complete
run down and going over their personal belongings one by one. Our cab
driver telling us that they do not want Chinese there at all. … The list
goes on.”

In 2009, the nation was forced into a dialogue about race after a nightclub
in Managua refused entry to Majailah Francis
<https://globalvoices.org/2009/04/03/nicaragua-refusal-of-entry-to-club-and-allegations-of-racism/>,
the daughter of politician Bridgete Ivonne Budier Bryan, then an alternate
deputy in the Central American Parliament. The Afro-Nicaraguan family
accused the club, El Chaman, of racism, with Bryan calling for its closure.
While some people argued that clubs in Nicaragua typically deny people
entry because of their dress or class background, the newspaper El Nuevo
Diario said the incident involving then-18-year-old Francis reflected the
racism pervasive in Nicaraguan society. El Chaman’s owners eventually
apologized
<http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=327848&CategoryId=23558> but
denied racism played a role in Francis’ treatment.

“We repeat before Nicaraguan public opinion and particularly to the
community on the Caribbean coast that El Chaman deeply regrets that
legislator Budier and her companions felt discriminated against,” the club
owners said.

In light of the scandal, however, Nicaragua’s national ombudsman Omar
Cabezas called for the closure of a minimum of three other nightclubs that
routinely refused to admit Blacks.

“When there was a Miss Nicaragua who came from the Coast, people almost had
a nervous breakdown about having a Black woman represent the country,”
Hooker pointed out. “What’s that, if not racism? We think that the
Nicaraguan is something else, we don’t think that a Nicaraguan could be
Black.”In 2010, a year after the nightclub scandal, Nicaragua was thrust
into another national dialogue about race when Scharllette Allen Moses
became the first Black woman to win the Miss Nicaragua crown. She went on
to represent the country in the Miss Universe pageant.

Hooker says that racism dates back to the colonization of Nicaragua, which
devastated the indigenous peoples and ushered in the slave trade. The
reports of racism in Nicaragua aren’t unique to that particular Latin
American country, of course. When Fidel Castro died in November, his
critics pointed out how Blacks in Cuba remained second-class citizens
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2016/12/05/fidel-castro-and-communisms-flawed-record-with-black-people/?utm_term=.91972c37e744>.
The same has been said about other countries in the Americas, including
Brazil, Colombia and the Dominican Republic. Afro-Colombians recently made
headlines for striking in the streets to protest racism and government
neglect
<http://www.theroot.com/fighting-for-black-lives-in-colombia-at-war-s-end-the-1796521962>
in
their communities. Thousands of protesters blocked the Colombian port town
of Buenaventura. After three weeks of protest, Black leaders came to an
agreement with lawmakers about their needs. They wanted basic necessities
like running water, infrastructure and electricity in their communities.

“What motivates us to keep fighting is our culture, our tradition, the
legacy that our ancestors have left us,” activist William Mina said. “We
want to live for our children so they can live in tranquility.”
July 30, 2017 at 8:08 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/news/> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-wtT

Comment
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/07/30/how-afro-nicaraguans-suffer-through-the-taboo-subject-of-racism/#respond>
   See all comments