[Blackstudies-l] Small Axe presents “Musical Passage: A Voyage to 1688 Jamaica” (volume dedicated to digital practices)

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Jun 17 02:15:32 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: " “Musical Passage: A Voyage to 1688 Jamaica” is a
Small Axe Project Commons Event hosted by sx archipelagos, featuring
Laurent Dubois, David Garner, and Mary Caton Lingold. The material will be
available from June 19 to 23, 2017. See details below. Desc"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Small Axe presents
“Musical Passage: A Voyage to 1688 Jamaica”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/06/17/small-axe-presents-musical-passage-a-voyage-to-1688-jamaica/>

*[image: musica;6f6f0]*

*“Musical Passage: A Voyage to 1688 Jamaica
<https://via.hypothes.is/http:/smallaxe.net/sxarchipelagos/issue01/musical-passage.html>”
is a Small Axe Project Commons Event hosted by sx archipelagos, featuring
Laurent Dubois, David Garner, and Mary Caton Lingold. The material will be
available from June 19 to 23, 2017. See details below.*

*Description*: *Musical Passage* uses a digital format to explore a unique
artifact of early African diasporic music. The site is designed around two
pages from eighteenth-century British naturalist and collector Hans
Sloane’s *A Voyage to the Islands* (1707), which documents his time in
Jamaica in the late 1680s. The pages of *Voyage* that have been placed at
the center of this site present notation of songs played at a “festival.”
This material is precious and fascinating, representing the earliest
notation we have of music produced by enslaved Africans in the Caribbean or
North America. The performers whose music is represented and interpreted
here were likely survivors of the Middle Passage who may have been playing
music they had learned in their homelands. They may also have been in the
process of creating entirely new performance traditions.

*sx archipelagos* will host a series of week-long experimental events to
reconnect our audiences with the content of our inaugural issue
<http://smallaxe.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b1c186cf2df97cc4e15730454&id=89797c7756&e=f7929ab0e6>.
In
an effort to truly take advantage of - and not merely pay lip service to -
the affordances of the digital, we are interested in maximizing the dynamic
presence of the journal's content in the world - beyond the periodicity of
publication. As such, we have initiated a commons space of sorts - punctual
opportunities for our community of readers to enter into dialogue with our
contributors, leaving comments on and posing questions about their work via
the open annotation tool hypothes.is
<http://smallaxe.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b1c186cf2df97cc4e15730454&id=97f56fc9d5&e=f7929ab0e6>.
Contributors will monitor their pages throughout the week-long commons
event, responding to and engaging with their audience.

Please join us in this experiment by checking out Laurent Dubois, David
Garner, and Mary Caton Lingold's Musical Passage
<http://smallaxe.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b1c186cf2df97cc4e15730454&id=4e55f09d20&e=f7929ab0e6>
- 19-23
June. To leave a comment or ask a question, simply set up an account with
hypothes.is
<http://smallaxe.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b1c186cf2df97cc4e15730454&id=f7bcc567c8&e=f7929ab0e6>.
Once you've done that, engaging with the site is as easy as selecting the
passage you want to address, and clicking on the comment button. For more
detailed instructions, the creators of the tool have provided excellent
documentation
<http://smallaxe.us12.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b1c186cf2df97cc4e15730454&id=ade309ce99&e=f7929ab0e6>.
You
might also have a look at this video
<http://smallaxe.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b1c186cf2df97cc4e15730454&id=1a22c5a70a&e=f7929ab0e6>.
Note
that the technology works best on the Chrome browser.
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | June
17, 2017 at 12:11 am | Tags: Musical Passage: A Voyage to 1688 Jamaica
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/musical-passage-a-voyage-to-1688-jamaica/>,
Small Axe <http://repeatingislands.com/tag/small-axe/>, sx archipelagos
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/sx-archipelagos/> | Categories: Music
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/music/> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-vTi