[Blackstudies-l] Caribbean pastors call on US to halt promotion of LGBT rights abroad

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Mar 25 03:11:15 EDT 2017

lisaparavisini posted: " A report from Jamaica's Observer. Several
religious officials, including pastors from across the Caribbean, have
called on the United States to halt the promotion of LGBT and intersex
rights abroad. LGBTA report published in the Washington Blade, a LG"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> Caribbean pastors call
on US to halt promotion of LGBT rights abroad
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/03/23/caribbean-pastors-call-on-us-to-halt-promotion-of-lgbt-rights-abroad/>

A report from Jamaica's *Observer*.
<http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Caribbean-pastors-call-on-US-to-halt-promotion-of-LGBT-rights-abroadhttp://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Caribbean-pastors-call-on-US-to-halt-promotion-of-LGBT-rights-abroad>

Several religious officials, including pastors from across the Caribbean,
have called on the United States to halt the promotion of LGBT and intersex
rights abroad.

LGBTA report published in the Washington Blade, a LGBT publication, said
289 Ministers of Religion from The Bahamas, St Maarten, St Vincent and the
Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana made the request in a letter
sent to US President Donald Trump on January 31.

“We write to you as concerned Christian ministers and churches from the
Caribbean region (including the Bahamas) who hope and pray that the United
States, under your leadership, will once again cast a light from ‘The City
upon a Hill’ of which your American forefathers and President Ronald Reagan
so frequently spoke,” the letter said.

“Sadly, during recent years, that City has too often cast shadows instead
of light.”
 “We refer specifically to the policies of the US State Department and
other government agencies involved in foreign policy that have undertaken
to coerce our countries into accepting a mistaken version of marriage.”

According to the Washington Blade, the letter specifically notes the
appointment of Randy Berry as the special US envoy for the promotion of
LGBT and intersex rights in 2015 was central to “the promotion of same-sex
marriage” in American foreign policy.

It also questions then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s 2011 speech to
the UN Human Rights Council in which she said “gay rights are human rights.”

“We have our rights by virtue of being human beings and not by anything
else — not our ethnicity, not our religion, not our race, not our tribe and
certainly not our sexual orientation,” the letter continued.

The leaders also pointed out that “several of your government agencies” are
“using executive orders to foist transgender confusion through the bathroom
issue on your public schools by threatening the loss of federal funds.”

“Please understand that this same kind of coercion is being used against
our countries to force us to fall in line with the entire same-sex agenda.”

Last year, the Obama administration advised public schools that Title IX of
the US Education Amendments of 1972 requires them to allow trans students
to use bathrooms consistent with their gender identity.

Trump rescinded this guidance on February 22.
March 23, 2017 at 10:39 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/news/> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-usq

Comment
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/03/23/caribbean-pastors-call-on-us-to-halt-promotion-of-lgbt-rights-abroad/#respond>
   See all comments