[Blackstudies-l] Orlando Patterson recognized with Harvard portrait

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Wed May 3 20:29:32 EDT 2017

lisaparavisini posted: " A report by Robert Mitchell for the Harvard
Gazette. A portrait of Orlando Patterson, the John Cowles Professor of
Sociology at Harvard, is now among the University-wide collection. To date,
17 portraits (including Patterson’s) have been commissioned "
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> Orlando Patterson
recognized with Harvard portrait
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/05/03/orlando-patterson-recognized-with-harvard-portrait/>

[image: 042617_portrait_unveiling_0030_605_main.jpg]

A report by Robert Mitchell for the *Harvard Gazette*
<http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2017/04/harvard-professor-recognized-with-portrait/>
.

A portrait of Orlando Patterson, the John Cowles Professor of Sociology at
Harvard, is now among the University-wide collection.

To date, 17 portraits (including Patterson’s) have been commissioned and
hung throughout the Harvard as part of the Harvard Foundation for
Intercultural and Race Relations’ Portraiture Project,
<https://harvardfoundation.fas.harvard.edu/portraiture-project> which
ensures recognition of the diversity of individuals who serve the
University with distinction. They can include — but are not limited to —
persons of African-American, Asian American, Latino American, Native
American, and European-American backgrounds.

The unveiling was held in the Leverett House junior common room on
Wednesday.

“When I left Jamaica for Harvard 47 years ago, arriving in January in the
middle of a typical New England winter, my first reaction was to count the
days before I could decently board a plane back home,” Patterson said
during the ceremony.

“Fortunately, several older colleagues and mentors urged me to think of
Harvard as a glorious intellectual response to the challenges of its
environment. The warmer the climate of one’s upbringing, they mused, the
greater would be the response. That was quite persuasive and I remembered
it each time I slipped on the ice, which I took some time to learn how to
walk on.”

Harvard Foundation Director S. Allen Counter noted that Patterson has not
only served Harvard as a professor, but has also been the Allston Burr
Senior Tutor in Leverett House.
Patterson thanked Counter, the Harvard Foundation, and Faculty Deans Howard
and Ann Georgi “for their very gracious agreement to have my portrait”
there.

“Imagine … my absolute delight in being informed that my portrait would be
hung in the junior common room of Leverett, the House that trusted me to
head the tutoring of Harvard’s largest student body at a critical moment in
history, that taught me the social and cultural underpinnings of our great
University, the House where I came to know and admire the life of our
extraordinary students outside the classroom,” said Patterson.

In thanking artist Stephen Coit ’71, Patterson noted that Coit captured an
“image of me that is at once unusually flattering yet passably
truthful. Only someone of great patience and artistry could have pulled it
off.”

Mandela Patrick ’18 paid tribute to Patterson as he helped unveil the
portrait.

“Dr. Patterson is one of few tenured faculty from the Caribbean, so he’s
really an inspiration to us students here from the Caribbean,” Patrick
said. “On a personal note, it’s really easy for me as a black Caribbean
student to sometimes feel that I don’t belong here, that I don’t deserve a
place here at Harvard. However, seeing the success Dr. Patterson has had
here, the impact he’s had on campus, back home in the Caribbean, and even
on the global scale, it’s hard not to feel inspirited and motivated.

“Dr. Patterson, your success has given me confidence and belief that I,
too, as someone from the Caribbean, can make my mark on this world.”

A historical and cultural sociologist, Patterson’s academic interests
include the culture and practices of freedom, the comparative study of
slavery and ethno-racial relations, and the cultural sociology of poverty
and underdevelopment. He has also written about the cultural sociology of
sports, especially cricket, according to his bio.

In addition to Harvard, Patterson has held academic appointments at his
alma mater, the University of the West Indies and the London School of
Economics, where he earned his Ph.D. He also served as special adviser for
social policy and development to Prime Minister Michael Manley of Jamaica.

Among Patterson’s numerous honors are the 1991 National Book Award for
nonfiction and the Ralph Bunche Award for the best book on pluralism from
the American Political Science Association; his next book is a treatise on
the cultural aspects of poverty among disadvantaged African-American youth.
He has also received honorary degrees from several schools, including the
University of Chicago, Northeastern University, and the New School.

The Harvard Foundation’s Portraiture Project has included portraits of
Chester Pierce, an *emeritus* professor of education and psychiatry at
Harvard Medical School; Rulan Pian, professor *emerita* of East Asian
languages and civilizations and of music at Harvard; and Fred Jewett, dean
of Harvard College.
*lisaparavisini <http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/>* | May
3, 2017 at 5:32 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/news/> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-vai