[Blackstudies-l] Slavery, Reparations and Transparency: Martinique

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Mon May 22 13:22:11 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: " As events related to the abolition of slavery start
taking place around Martinique today (May 22), some areas have decided to
take a clearer stance regarding this historical trauma. For example, the
City Council of the Prêcheur decided to adopt a transp"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Slavery, Reparations and
Transparency: Martinique
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/05/22/slavery-reparations-and-transparency-martinique/>

*[image: Untitled]*

*As events related to the abolition of slavery start taking place around
Martinique today (May 22), some areas have decided to take a clearer stance
regarding this historical trauma. For example, the City Council of the
Prêcheur decided to adopt a transparency clause on crimes against humanity.
Dom Tom News reports:*

The purpose of this measure is to make companies seeking public aid or
purchases to open their archives and to reveal whether they benefited in
any way from crimes against humanity in the past, including slavery . The
town hall of Sainte-Anne had already voted on the text, under the aegis of
Garcin Malsa. But its implementation had been abandoned since the change of
municipal majority here.

Speaking on this decision, Marcellin Nadeau, mayor of Prêcheur, stated: "As
far as slavery is concerned, we are campaigning for reparations. Now, the
first of the reparations is truth. This is why we have adopted this
transparency clause, which will allow us to have a better understanding of
our history. On the other hand, in a context in which there is such
frequent mention of the moralization of public life, citizens have a right
to know where public money is going. [We should know whether] companies
that want to receive public funds (aid, markets, etc.) have been complicit
in crimes against humanity. And if so, [we should know] where, how, under
what circumstances, to what extent, with what consequences, and with what
level of profit.” [. . .]

For full article (in French), see http://politiques-publiques.
com/martinique/esclavage-reparations-precheur-adopte-clause-transparence/

Also see http://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/martinique/abolition-
esclavage-169-ans-question-reparation-se-pose-476267.html
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | May 22,
2017 at 12:44 pm | Tags: abolition of slavery
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/abolition-of-slavery/>, Martinique
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/martinique/>, slavery reparations
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/slavery-reparations/> | Categories: History
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/history/>, News