[Blackstudies-l] “Borders of Visibility—Haitian Migrant Women and the Dominican Nation-State”

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sun Nov 19 13:19:58 EST 2017

ivetteromero posted: " I am thrilled to have recently received a copy of
Borders of Visibility: Haitian Migrant Women and the Dominican Nation-State
(The University of Alabama Press, 2017) by Jennifer L. Shoaff, and I cannot
wait to read it; it is on the top of my reading lis"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> What’s on Our
Nightstands: “Borders of Visibility—Haitian Migrant Women and the Dominican
Nation-State”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/11/19/whats-on-our-nightstands-borders-of-visibility-haitian-migrant-women-and-the-dominican-nation-state/>

*[image: haiti.212-6704-Product_LargeToMediumImage]*

*I am thrilled to have recently received a copy of Borders of Visibility:
Haitian Migrant Women and the Dominican Nation-State (The University of
Alabama Press, 2017) by Jennifer L. Shoaff, and I cannot wait to read it;
it is on the top of my reading list for our upcoming winter break. Borders
of Visibility—an anthropological study of Haitian migrant women’s mobility
in the Dominican Republic—explores issues of visibility and invisibility—
and, to a certain extent, mobility—across border sites. *

*Gina Athena Ulysse (author of Why Haiti Needs New Narratives: A Post-Quake
Chronicle and Downtown Ladies: Informal Commercial Importers, a Haitian
Anthropologist, and Self-Making in Jamaica) describes it as “a valuable
anthropological gem that will have impact for years to come.” She adds,
“This is much-needed, nuanced ethnography that takes the marginalized out
of obscurity while exposing the extent to which their invisibility is a
chimera.”*

the Dominican Republic’s racist treatment of Haitian descendants within its
borders. Jennifer L. Shoaff employs multisited feminist research to focus
on the geographies of power that intersect to inform the opportunities and
constraints that migrant women must navigate to labor and live within a
context that largely denies their human rights, access to citizenship, and
a sense of security and belonging.

Paradoxically, these women are both hypervisible because of the blackness
that they embody and invisible because they are marginalized by
intersecting power inequalities. Haitian women must contend with diffuse
legal, bureaucratic and discursive state-local practices across “border”
sites that situate them as a specific kind of threat that must be
contained. Shoaff examines this dialectic of mobility and containment
across various sites in the northwest Dominican Republic, including the
official border crossing, transborder and regional used-clothing markets,
migrant settlements (*bateyes*), and other rural-urban contexts.

Shoaff combines ethnographic interviews, participant observation,
institutional analyses of state structures and nongovernmental agencies,
and archival documentation to bring this human rights issue to the fore.
Although primarily grounded in critical ethnographic practice, this work
contributes to the larger fields of transnational feminism, black studies,
migration and border studies, political economy, and cultural
geography. Borders of Visibility brings much needed attention to Haitian
migrant women’s economic ingenuity and entrepreneurial savvy, their ability
to survive and thrive, their often impossible choices whether to move or to
stay, returning them to a place of visibility, while exposing the very
structures that continue to render them invisible and, thus, expendable
over time.

*Jennifer L. Shoaff* is a sociocultural anthropologist focusing on
transnational feminist topics and studies of race in the Caribbean,
particularly in the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

For more information, see http://www.uapress.ua.edu/
product/Borders-of-Visibility,6704.aspx
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* |
November 19, 2017 at 12:55 pm | Tags: anthropological study
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/anthropological-study/>, Borders of
Visibility: Haitian Migrant Women and the Dominican Nation-State
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/borders-of-visibility-haitian-migrant-women-and-the-dominican-nation-state/>,
Haiti <http://repeatingislands.com/tag/haiti/>, new book
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/new-book/>, What’s on Our Nightstands
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/whats-on-our-nightstands/> | Categories: