[Blackstudies-l] You, Me And Them: Experiencing Discrimination in America

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Oct 26 10:48:26 EDT 2017

NPR takes a deep dive into discrimination in America.
[image: NPR]
Race. Ethnicity. Sexuality. Gender.

You have an identity in each of these categories. So what do your cohorts
have to say about how your own groups are treated in the United States?

Our new series, “You, Me And Them: Experiencing Discrimination In America
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=aca8945a6be39e78f2ab6254158e2baa6aec9152ac69592454c5ac0422562ddd6de899ff273a5a620786765a5863c7b7b581b47cb899c007>,”
explores the results of a poll we conducted with the Robert Wood Johnson
Foundation and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

You can follow the series on your local member station, at NPR.org and on
Twitter and Facebook.*A Majority Of All Groups Believe Their Group Is
Discriminated Against In America
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=aca8945a6be39e7899be3bede8f23b25d7045d5ca30d11ae8a662ee98fe1001a64140ea01fff12e8b68e630c3ad1940d2010d15211c31baf>*We
spoke with African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Latino Americans, Native
Americans and white Americans, and members of the LGBTQ community. A
majority of each group said they believe discrimination against their own
group exists today. They were also asked about their personal experiences
with discrimination in various aspects of life, such as interacting with
the police, applying for jobs or going to the doctor.How Black Americans
See Discrimination
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=aca8945a6be39e7890ad4a7f5873e3d9ad4b8bf7c137ff0c50df04ad3fa3986f9b5f7137f6a20d9443131588e235604ebb05d7f7f6bfecbe>African-American
respondents reported having different kinds of experiences with
discrimination, which varied considerably depending on things like gender,
age and where they lived. For example, younger people were more likely to
say that they felt that institutional discrimination was a bigger concern
than discrimination from individuals.

Source: NPR/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation/Harvard T.H. Chan School of
Public Health: "Discrimination in America: Experiences and Views of African
Americans."
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=aca8945a6be39e780c7b4d1dae6440c06fb4a05c246a606aa499f179208021cdc2b7a56d029de20d4b62e9f31142fb37ff373be15002e06a>
Survey of 802 African-American U.S. adults conducted Jan. 26-April 9, 2017.
"Don't know/refused" responses not shown. The margin of error for the full
African-American sample is +/- 4.1 percentage points.
Credit: Alyson Hurt/NPR
We Want To Hear From YouPoll data alone do not paint the complete picture;
this is about human beings and their stories. We want to hear directly from
people about their personal experiences and invite you to share your part
of the American story.

Share Your Story
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=aca8945a6be39e78a4f899be2e5a848ed07c069dcae577ccab50e1e6290d9a9ca111f9f42d78b31c20e20c9a8566072de423044d9c301270>

You received this message because you're subscribed to our Best of NPR
emails.

<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=aca8945a6be39e78bf047f3869890f92f73f531ac33267e9bacda0d5950d069f9f0610a901cc31409edaab18f8b2d75268f582fe5f765ded>*
|  *Privacy Policy
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=aca8945a6be39e78deb2b955b908f7dda30bc6fa1d469d24f3191da3fb32322482df83752b18e9d6e76580a0c2ce2a3f5f5d95153a699e2c>*