[Blackstudies-l] Vassar’s Haiti Project’s Art Live Auction and Sale

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Mon Sep 11 19:43:17 EDT 2017

lisaparavisini posted: " Friday, September 15 12pm to 7pm, Preview and Sale
Saturday, September 16 10am to 5pm Lunch and Preview: 12:30pm, Auction: 2pm
Sunday, September 17 10am to 2pm, Sale Learn more about the auction View
auction paintings All purchases are 50% tax deductible"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> Vassar’s Haiti
Project’s Art Live Auction and Sale
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/09/11/vassars-haiti-projects-art-live-auction-and-sale/>

[image: Gabriel+Coutard+September+Sale+2017.jpg]

*Friday, September 15*
12pm to 7pm, Preview and Sale

*Saturday, September 16*
10am to 5pm
Lunch and Preview: 12:30pm, Auction: 2pm

*Sunday, September 17*
10am to 2pm, Sale

Learn more about the auction <https://www.thehaitiproject.org/auction>
View auction paintings <https://www.thehaitiproject.org/new-gallery>

All purchases are 50% tax deductible and donations are 100% tax deductible

*Supporting education, health and sustainable development in the village of
Chermaitre, Haiti*

The Vassar Haiti Project (VHP) is holding its annual art sale September 15,
16 and 17, 2017, on the second floor of Main Building. The sale will
feature vibrant art and handcrafts from Haiti. Proceeds from the event
support numerous programs in Chermaitre—a mountain village in Haiti
unreachable by road.

The event is open to the public, with handcrafts starting at $5, and
paintings at $50. All sales are 50% tax deductible.

Founded by Andrew Meade, Director of International Services at Vassar
College, and his wife, Lila, VHP has raised over $1,500,000 since 2001. The
organization engages college students in a global citizenship curriculum
and its fundraising sales directly support the livelihood of literally
hundreds of Haitian artists and artisans.   Vassar alumna Anna Brashear
reflects, “VHP … taught me the most useful skill of all, which is always to
give of yourself to others.  By giving my time, energy, and passion to VHP,
I became part of a family and dedicated community which strives to work
together with a village in Haiti to make a positive difference.”

The organization counts on the success of its art sales to fund numerous
life-sustaining projects, including:

   - * Medical clinic.* A three-room medical clinic has been fully
   operational since April 2014, and is overseen by a full time nurse and a
   physician, who are both Haitian. The clinic sees 1,000 patients a year, and
   provides health care to the residents of 30 villages. Patients walk as much
   as three hours one-way to access health care at the clinic.
   - *Women's Cooperative. *The 75-member cooperative was formed by village
   women looking to further support their families and the village. The women
   learn how to sew fabrics and make jewelry, both of which will be for sale.
   The Co-op also harvests, roasts, grinds, and bags coffee that VHP very
   quickly sells.
   - *Education. *Chermaitre’s primary school serves 300 children in
   kindergarten through sixth grade.  VHP now supports a scholarship program
   that makes secondary school education possible for about eight students a
   year.  New kindergarten classrooms have been recently constructed.
   - *Reforestation. *Fifteen thousand trees were planted over 2015/2016,
   Phase II of a long term effort to repopulate the mountainsides with a
   minimum of 100,000 fruit and lumber trees to greatly enhance food security
   and environmental stability in the area.  This phase was funded by an
   American Forests grant.
   - *Water Access and Purification.  *Thanks to a $55,000 Rotary Global
   Foundation grant to improve water access and purification in Chermaitre,
   work began on this effort in 2016.

The coming Vassar sale will run from Friday, September 15, through Sunday,
September 17, in the College Center multi-purpose room on the second floor
of Main Building. On Friday, Sept. 15, the sale will run from noon –
7:00pm. On Saturday, September 16, the sale will be open from 10am – 5pm,
and will feature a live auction of Haitian art beginning at 2:30pm.  On
Sunday the sale will be open 10am – 2pm. Hundreds of original paintings
will be offered as well as thousands of handcrafts, including hand painted
silk scarves and iron sculptures.

VHP makes trips twice yearly to Haiti, bringing with them Vassar students
and other volunteers from the Hudson Valley area.  Jenna Amlani ’16 recalls
the powerful impact of her trip:

“Going to Haiti with VHP during spring break of my sophomore year was
unlike anything I had ever experienced; I came out of that trip knowing
that I wanted to devote my career to building a more just and equitable
world.”

Their experiences are reported through the Vassar Haiti Project blog (
http://blogs.vassar.edu/haitiproject/).

Vassar College strives to make its events, performances, and facilities
accessible to all. Individuals with disabilities requiring special
accommodations must contact the Office of Campus Activities at least 48
hours in advance of an event, Mondays-Fridays, at (845) 437-5370. Without
sufficient notice, appropriate space/and or assistance may not be
available. For detailed information about accessibility to specific campus
facilities, search for “campus accessibility information” on the Vassar
homepage (http://www.vassar.edu).

Directions to the Vassar campus, located at 124 Raymond Avenue
<https://maps.google.com/?q=124+Raymond+Avenue&entry=gmail&source=g> in
Poughkeepsie, NY, are available at www.vassar.edu/directions
<http://www.vassar.edu/visitors/>.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent,
residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.
September 11, 2017 at 2:48 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/news/> | URL: http://wp.me/psnTa-xr9

Comment
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/09/11/vassars-haiti-projects-art-live-auction-and-sale/#respond>
   See all comments