[Blackstudies-l] “Amsterdam, Traces of Sugar”: Best Documentary at Toronto Caribbean Film Festival

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Sep 30 15:54:07 EDT 2017

ivetteromero posted: " Director Ida Does’s film “Amsterdam, Traces of
Sugar” won the award for Best Documentary at the 2017 Toronto Caribbean
Film Festival; Does also won the award for Best Female Director. Does said,
"We are delighted with these awards. The documentary is i"

International trailer of Amsterdam, traces of sugar: https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=0GGuVkbnJA8&t=12s
New post on *Repeating Islands*
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> “Amsterdam, Traces of
Sugar”: Best Documentary at Toronto Caribbean Film Festival
<http://repeatingislands.com/2017/09/27/amsterdam-traces-of-sugar-best-documentary-at-toronto-caribbean-film-festival/>

*[image: perez_art_third_horizon]*

*Director Ida Does’s film “Amsterdam, Traces of Sugar” won the award for
Best Documentary at the 2017 Toronto Caribbean Film Festival; Does also won
the award for Best Female Director.*

Does said, "We are delighted with these awards. The documentary is in Dutch
and so it has been thrilling to see how much it resonates with
international audiences. After its premiere in the Netherlands on primetime
national TV, the film premiered at Carifesta in Barbados, and was part of
the official selection of Caribbean Tales in Toronto and Third Horizon
Caribbean Film Festival in Miami. The film has also been selected for
screening at the Trinidad & Tobago International Film Festival in 2018. The
international recognition of our film is not just tremendously rewarding,
it also signals just how much interest there is for films about our shared
colonial history and the ways in which it has shaped all of us in the
Caribbean and beyond."

*Amsterdam, traces of sugar* is a documentary film that touches on the
colonial relationship between the Netherlands and Suriname. The films is
centered on three main characters, each of whom have a very personal link
to Dutch slavery. While tackling large themes of slavery and colonialism,
the film somehow manages to feel like an intimate portrait as it explores
these themes through the lens of family history and personal stories.

Director of the film Ida Does is no stranger at the Caribbean Tales Film
Festival. For her film *Poetry is an Island: Derek Walcott* she also
received Best Documentary in 2014. This year, she became the first woman to
ever receive the CineFAM, female director award. The word FAM is
Haïtian-Creole for "woman." With this award, the Caribbean Tales Film
Festival wants to honor and stimulate women directors. In receiving the
CineFAM and the Best Documentary award, Does said "I am deeply humbled and
I dedicate these awards to our ancestors.”

International trailer of Amsterdam, traces of sugar: https://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=0GGuVkbnJA8&t=12s
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* |
September 27, 2017 at 11:18 pm | Tags: Amsterdam: Traces of Sugar
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/amsterdam-traces-of-sugar/>, Ida Does
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/ida-does/>, Suriname
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/suriname/>, Toronto Caribbean Film Festival
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/toronto-caribbean-film-festival/> |