[Blackstudies-l] New poetry from Kevin Young

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Apr 26 15:39:28 EDT 2018

Plus: Critics' picks, a young asylum seeker's quest for poetry, and why
humans are wrong about sloths.
books
[image: Poet Kevin Young]
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad959d3558621c5e078dd95ae45b8a4be60255b36d18b038d55003936b64754ad72d57a789de6dd8a112aa94c6a91d5987220>
*Photo of Kevin Young by Melanie Dunea/CPi*

Poet Kevin Young's new book, *Brown*, is colored by memories of family,
childhood, U.S. history and black culture. "I was really interested in this
idea of brownness," he tells Code Switch's Karen Grigsby Bates
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad959b3e520e08cc89d4dac194f123e410225b8e3665787fa59a6e30dd055b9a4b2cfdbd05a567a0d0ac93ffd7a777f6a1288>.
"both in sort of a literal name, like Brown in *Brown v. Board* and Rev.
Brown and Linda Brown and all that implied, but also James Brown and John
Brown."
[image: Student and asylum-seeker Allan Monga]
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad959cb1c44e2a425513fbdcd57ecbf1eff1ef7c3b7df08a29dcba4973aa905ce5c89fdeb5867d63c6c145c3c8e4eb18c73a4>
*Photo of Allan Monga by Portland Press Herald/Press Herald via Getty
Images*

In his home country of Zambia, Allan Monga says, he didn't know about
poetry. But when he fled violence there to seek asylum in Maine, his high
school teacher introduced him: "It happened, and I will tell you, it is
addictive," he told NPR's Ari Shapiro. "I will not let anyone stand in
between the relationship I have, I've grown for poetry." Monga was in
Washington, D.C. this week after winning the right to compete
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad959e75545e9ddd447d87f0092b0b3024e91d2d624fc4b418b98858f17a2b76bcff398c75120fce7b843bf4ffc1511320496>
in a national poetry competition that previously barred non-citizens.
[image: Cute pandas!]
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad9595455db4a9993c3b9caed8b810ef5e59dc30491b0fe98865358de56d6205a2cb4f3a5cb345e6e3fa359a5a900439aa9e5>
*Pandas may look cute, but they're still bears. Image via AFP/Getty Images.*

Humans are all wrong about sloths — and lots of other animals (including
pandas) — says zoologist Lucy Cooke. "People think that because the animal
is slow that it's somehow useless and redundant," she tells NPR's Lulu
Garcia-Navarro. But in fact, "they are incredibly successful creatures."
Cooke is the founder of the Sloth Appreciation Society and the author of
the new book *The Truth About Animals: Stoned Sloths, Lovelorn Hippos and
Other Tales from the Wild Side of Wildlife.* For more — including why
Aristotle was wrong about eels — click here.
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad959ab1b92c1146517bdddd72dd9a3a6928a746c18d11531b079df9b4491ad238fbba73a9d1469aea681cddfd97c83c27759>
[image: 'Head On,' by John Scalzi]
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad95947b961bc453fad1ca33a8e0dbea553665b506c95c101c4bb8ada9b16f83f103d72d641dd3e5d7afde33fd75936c4e652>
[image: 'You Think It, I'll Say It,' By Curtis Sittenfeld]
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad9599796c946ec8fa0d75d38fbef0740ba73649850f139c53c1996239cd22f01200dcd27c9f7f1c1826ef6e4b53f9c64cc39>
[image: 'How To Suppress Women's Writing,' By Joanna Russ]
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad9594feaa9f1aa83ef64920e0484747ce98e92b78e016eace1ad0ad574cd9e77be5595b26b2ec031eac63fde3e31c470452c>
Finally this week, some picks from our reviewers — Jason Sheehan is excited
that the action in John Scalzi's latest comes down to a very important cat
named Donut
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad9596381fa17bf8278b9e2843ccba8e6e2ccbe899e0f48c1f31543b6ca7770387ec55920d53649964418d53a156f4170ba62>.
Annalisa Quinn applauds the way Curtis Sittenfeld "gives sustained,
compassionate attention to the middle-aged women of middle America" in her new
story collection
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad959004aab796788d8007daffe89e85f21e5f815daf80531462a9863a76fea6e97e3b9547bcfeebd77445ff8e44aaa2aa40d>.
And Genevieve Valentine says she wishes she'd had Joanna Russ's fierce *How
To Suppress Women's Writing
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad959fada27d94b2f814a5898b29b77bf3b898f861904a830e99bec2cf673a201aa4b900b17137486c7e7daae00ad6d8bfdf2>*
when
she was studying English.

Happy reading!
[image: Facebook]
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad95943abd4e8947cb1b34358c89d97828d84428666aa24580a3fd2022756689fd4af1ae73333dce5770048463414100fe57e>
[image: Twitter]
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad9597ab03bfd8d5a80f689eebdb2d929ee5f0ea981c1e158bdd59c4e77e3a868f3695c868cd9457274c8114a3ffa65e615b0>

You received this message because you're subscribed to our Books emails.

<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad959804310fbb62eeac6eb121da6895a08e69bae3214e45a97fa84c5fc28cfb071f80a390917bfb085d54eec2dee46afe936>*
|  *Privacy Policy
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=6495eb81bf6ad959a589b6304ca49e5811b1fc42f292e0182b9759ebc492fc1e296d60dcfbde28e6750c9fa818931f2dae0932cc1880a48f>*

NPR